(HFI-650 vs. HD-580) w/ ipod
Nov 17, 2003 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daniel422

Head-Fier
I just picked up some Ultrasone HFI-650s off ebay ($98, thank you) as a gift for a relative. Naturally I had to check to make sure that they functioned properly
wink.gif
, since this was an ebay purchase. I've read many positive comments regarding these cans in this and other forums, but having heard them I'm somewhat underwhelmed.
I got these for an intended application of ipod use at work -- a closed headphone was necessary to prevent leakage out as well as noise in. Their lower impedance (75 ohms) seemed somewhat high to me, but they seem to be driven reasonably well enough with just the ipods headphone out. Max volume, however, was still a little weak for me. I guess I expect max volume to be painful and not expect to be running my cans at that volume for any great length of time. With these I'd be tempted to leave it on (or close) to max most of the time. The end user will probably listen at more sedate levels than I, so this is fine. Admitedly, they are easier to drive (definitely louder -- I'd say 6dB) than my HD-580s, my standard reference headphones I've had for years. Isolation is MUCH better, but not great. Hell, the 580s are open so you hear everything outside -- and so does everybody else hear you. These (HFI-650s) are MUCH improved on that by their very nature, but no where close to the league of in-ear headphones. They should suit my application just fine.
They sound relatively flat with a much more forward presentation than the HD-580s. They sound good, much better than any stock headphones, with excellent detail, just not quite what I expected, especially considering the price point of these phones -- at $98 I think got a comparative steal on these. I was expecting HD580 competition with phones of retail value of $165, but IMHO -- the HD580s blow them away with almost anything except isolation and absolute sound level.
Bass is OK, not overwhelming or bloated but present. Imaging is much more seperated than I anticipated given Ultrasone's "natural logic" speaker technology that is supposed to give better imaging. I find the HD580s to have much better imaging. Even my e2cs seems less forward and more 3d.
What gives? This seems odd to me given the positive comments I've seen here. I've tried burning them in with some heavy electronica tracks for a few days (they were almost brand-new) and this seems to have helped some, but they are still too forward for my tastes. Maybe my 580s have spoiled me, maybe the ipod isn't the best source for these (amp recommendations, anyone), but I was expecting a little more. Maybe they just take time to warm up to given my reference cans.
Any thoughts?

Nov 17, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 6
Daniel, I am a little unclear about your situation. You are saying that the 580's sound better unpowered and hooked up to the ipod than the 650's do? I have the 580's (and HFI 700s on the way, coincidentally) and think that they sound absolutely horrid unpowered with the ipod. I have an old pair of crappy aiwa portable headphones that sound better than the 580s unpowered. My 700s are still in the mail, so I can't give a response about their sound directly from the ipod, but I would assume they would be better just because of the lower impedance.

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

You are saying that the 580's sound better unpowered and hooked up to the ipod than the 650's do?

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm running an 2nd gen ipod at pretty much max volume. My WELL broken in HD580s sound very good (IMO) from this -- not saying that it couldn't benefit from an amp. The HFI650 sounds louder, but in no way better.

I can't say I've heard any stock or sub-$100 headphones that sounded better than the 580s regardless of amplification. Under no circumstances would I describe the 580s as absolutely horrid with any source I've tried.

Impedance seems to get bandied about too often in this group without regard to sensativity of phones or other circuit considerations (Also IMO). Most amps I've seen have much better dynamics and THD with higher impedance loads -- it's simply much simpler to drive. Volume then becomes the only other factor.

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 6
The 2nd gen ipods must have a stronger output then, because I will definitely reiterate that my 580s are not worth listening to on my new ipod. To get a decent volume level you have to bring the volume control up to at least 75%, and distortion begins. Yuck.

Nov 18, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 6
They must because I can run mine all the way to max volume without distortion. I've actually taken the time to measure this with a sine wave (mp3 encoded) on an audio analyzer under several different load values (16-300 ohms).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back