HFI 650 Trackmasters but what amp?
Nov 25, 2003 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CrawlingEye

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so my budget is about $250-300 but that's solid at $300, I can't go over that, unless it's less than $10.

So, right now I'm thinking of picking up the Corda HA-1 due to Kelly's review as well as the fact that it can be upgraded (providing I can find someone willing to) in the future to a Corda Blue.

My other ideas were as follows:

Gilmore Lite - the V2 looks incredible but I simply can't afford it at all and since the V2 seems to be well-liked, I'd imagine the Lite would follow in its footsteps. Although, I haven't heard much on how different it sounds from the V2 in terms of the difference of the power supply.

Pimeta (Headsave SL?) - looks nice but seems like a cheaper version of the classic, which I'm uncertain of the differences of.

Headroom's Little - looks nice but seemingly sounds 'grainy' without upgrades.

Ideally I'd like something with a very clear (articulate, if you will) sound that has a smooth sound to it. I don't really like much coloration. I was thinking the Corda would be good because I could utilitze the crossfeed selections to make it a bit more smooth.

Thanks everyone. I've been researching since my last post and hope to get a larger amount of responses this time.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, this is all for my Christmas present this year, so please don't include 'used' options unless they're foreseeably available around Christmas.

Edit: I listen to a wide variety of stuff, for what that's worth.
I listen to plenty of newer 'rock' as well as some acoustic. I also listen to some ska, even some artists who have female vocals.

Again; thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Of those options, the Corda and Gilmore will have the closest to "neutral" sound. I heard a Headsave Ultra, and it sounded a bit thin and bright, and a Little More Power, which was quite warm, with somewhat grainy highs.

The Corda's achilles heel IMO is grainy treble, though it's not as noticeable until you get a pretty good source. I've never heard the Gilmore Lite, but if it's anything like it's bigger siblings it oughtta be pretty darn punchy and neutral, though I've heard the Lite can be kinda bright. Look up someone who's actually owned it though, to find out.

Nov 25, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks a lot. I was right in assuming it's between the HA-1 and the Gilmore Lite. I think I'm going to go with the HA-1 though, as it comes seemingly with the most options (crossfeed). Thanks everyone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2003 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks. I think $50 should be managable for an IC.
Any clues as to vendors that would carry these though?

My current headphone vendor list consists of JMT, Meier, Headroom, Gilmore and a couple select others.
frown.gif

Thanks a lot again, you've been a great help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Having heard the Gilmore V2 and V1 for that matter the Corda HA-1 (now known as the MkI) offers better value for money IMO than the Gilmore Lite. The Corda HA-1 Mk I can also be upgraded quite easily in the future. Kurt W did these mods for Kelly and dubbed them Corda Blue. The main improvement is better dynamics and improved decay. It's also smoother. I tried most of these mods myself and am in the process of seeing what other upgrades to perform (BTW I didn't do the mods myself but there's a diy guy in Singapore where I live called Dreamslacker in these forum). Anyways he did them for me.

As for interconnects Jan makes some from belden as well. Haven't tried them but knowing Jan they will offer good to very good price to performance.

In all honesty if you can afford it try to cough up for the Corda HA-2 - it uses the 634 buffer and has the 120 ohm jack option built in. It's a very nice amp and you wont have to fuss with upgrades.

You won't hear the true potential of the corda amps until it has burnt in for about 150 to 300 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back