Head-Fier
Good evening, fellow head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif
. (It's 01:05AM over here in Germany
wink.gif
) .

I'll start with a big 'Thank you!'. You guys rock
smily_headphones1.gif
. You really helped me quite a lot whenever I had another noob question about whatever. So, at last, I got me some Ultrasone HFI-650 as a late birthday present for myself from ebay, for just 62 Euros. How freaky is that
biggrin.gif
? And they are absolutely new and unused.

Before I start writing down my listening impressions, some things about myself:

-I'm a student, so I'm on a budget. I very probably wouldn't have been able to buy HFI-650's if they weren't as cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

-I listen to a wide range of music, from Classic over Electronica (do you call Prodigy 'Electronica' ?) to Metal/Hard Rock.

-I don't have a headphone amp, I'm using the headphone jack on my budget Denon receiver
smily_headphones1.gif

-I haven't heard any really professional headphones yet. All I previously owned were the Philips SBC HP-820 and the Sennheiser HD-500.

So well, here is what I can say after the first day with my Ultrasones:

They look great. And they are really solid, too, unlike my HP820.... I really like to wear them, they are really comfortable. I must admit that I prefer my HD-500 over the Ultrasones regarding comfortability, but perhaps that's just a matter of getting used to them.

Sound:

Overall, the HFI-650's really like it if I set the bass control on my amp to '+1'. The sound simply gets much warmer, nicer, AND more direct.

Classic: I like the Ultrasones for Classic, there's only one thing I do not really like: piano sounds somewhat flat on the HFI's. This is not necessarily the phones' fault, it's possibly my amp.

Electronica:
The Prodigy: The 650's clear heights are just so amazing. Just the lower to mid bass frequencies are a bit more 'sharp' than I'd like them to be.
Oakenfold (Matrix Soundtrack): The brilliance of the higher bass frequencies adds a really great feeling to these tracks. I just love it. You can feel the music in your veins with the Ultrasones.

Metal/Hard Rock/etc.:
Dimmu Borgir: The guitars sound really detailed and somewhat analytic. I'd perhaps like them to be a bit warmer, but the detail the HFI's get out of the songs are really interesting. I really enjoy it.
Nine Inch Nails (well, sue me. I like them
smily_headphones1.gif
.) : Very clear and detailed sound. I don't know if Trent Reznor wanted his songs to sound like they sound on the Ultrasones, but, well, I like it (did I say that before?).

I really recommend the Ultrasone HFI-650's to anyone who looks for a set of good closed cans which works for a wide variety of music. Contrary to some people's beliefs, I do not think that they sound too analytical to enjoy music on them, but well, I'm just a head-fi newbie, but I have a strange feeling that these Ultrasones will be the beginning of a period of spending quite some money and time on audio/Hi-Fi equipment....

yawg3d

Ah yes, I hereby apologise for any spelling, grammar or vocabulary mistakes in this post. I tried to use all my very limited English skills to write this, so I hope you understand what I was trying to say
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi, congrats on your new toy. It's better late than never
wink.gif
I used to own the HD500 and thought it was the coolest thing
rolleyes.gif

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Update:

Whoa, I really love 'em
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, there's one little thing I don't really like about them.... they 'clamp' (is this the right word?) a bit. This is not much of a problem while you wear them, but it's possible that your ears start hurting a bit when you take them off.

But well, I'd say I have somewhat large ears
wink.gif
... if anyone is interested in pictures of the headphones, or of me wearing them, feel free to ask, I'll make some and upload them.

Their greatest strength is electronic music. The sound is so detailed, and really extended! The HFI's offer really good bass and very nice trebles.
With Rock/Metal, I use the equalizer built in in foobar2000 (this is an audio player), this improves the sound quite a bit. But that's very probably a problem of my bad source... sigh... I need to get a decent soundcard
rolleyes.gif

I just love these cans.

(In two weeks, I'll be able to listen to a few Beyer's... let's see how they compare to the Ultrasone
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, those HFI-650s are a poor Head-fier`s best friend, aren`t they? They`ll elevate a man`s love for music even without dedicated amps and expensive sources. Congrats and welcome to Team Ultrasone, yawg3d. Don`t worry about the comfort issue. It`ll probably settle down somewhat after a couple of weeks of normal use. I am already at the point where I only "feel" music, not the headphones themselves. Be patient and enjoy your new toy!

Quote:

I got me some Ultrasone HFI-650 as a late birthday present for myself from ebay, for just 62 Euros. How freaky is that ?

Well, that is just INSANE! There is no other word. I paid the lowest possible official price at our famous supplier from Germany and was happy with the deal at the time. But your deal is just unbelievable... Good for you, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back