HF5 or RE-400 for classical?
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rewkie

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking for some isolative IEMs for classical while working in noisy areas,so after a good bit of searching around i came up with these two. And i need some help deciding which one to get. My sound preferences are accurate,not dry,transparent and detailed,relatively balanced,and not overwhelming but definitely present bass. And yes i have looked at reviews on both. I just need help deciding. All in all isolation is top priority.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 10
Having only listened to my brothers RE-400 very shortly quite a while back I can't say much about them besides that my impression was positive.

I do however own the HF3 which basically is a HF5 with inline mic/remote and can say that they are excellent at noise isolation with the triflange if you can get along with the fit. I prefer the round tips (gliders) which also have good isolation.

I prefer a lighter sound sig and find the HF3 just very slightly bassy on it's own and soundwise better with a 75ohm adapter. Although they have always only been my backup while earlier having ER4, Tzar 350 and presently K3000i as primary iem I have always been very happy with the HF3 and considers them good value for money sound wise. Just imho ofc.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 10
I have never auditioned the re400 but I do own the hf2 which is hf5 with mic, And it a very neutral and balanced iem. It is very clear and accurate, and The bass response is present but it does not overshadow other frequencies. I would highly recommend the hf5.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 10
If I don't like these I'll go to the warmer,bassier,RE-400s. If I do like them I'll probably wait 9-12 months and get the ER4. Either way I'm still expanding my knowledge of audio so I'm not losing anything. :)

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Feb 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Does the adapter make an effective difference in the sound? Or is it one of those things that makes just enough of a difference that you can only tell when you test them side by side?

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Would say it's significant enough to notice - more on some tracks than others of course. A bit less bass, a bit less monitor-like and more airy. Soundwise it will put you closer to the ER4S sound than without imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back