HF5/HF2 vs RE0
Oct 31, 2009 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Inks

An expert on his own opinion.
Ok, did some searching and found lots of opinions regarding the two, but I still can't make up my mind.

first, i want good isolation, i know the hfs win in this respect, but are the re0s close with a good seal?

sound sig:
good mids (first priority)
bass (I know the 2 have them weak, but which one's is better?)
highs I really don't care about so much, because i know both will present them well, but i would prefer the one that has them more tamed.

It seems that the sound sig of the RE0s win for me because they seem to tame the highs more while keeping good mids, but the isolation factor and the opinions regarding good bass on hf5s has me undecided.

I will specially like opinions from those who have tried both.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good mids (first priority)

go for RE0..
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 14
how is that combo compared to other iems you've tried? I'm coming from pfes and want something at least just as good, in terms of isolation.

too bad t400s don't last very long, but maybe the isolation is just as good with shure olives, thoughts anyone?

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

have you tried the hf5 in comparison?

I remember seeing a post that said the hf5s have better mids.

i haven't try the HF5.. but i have try ER4p (people say they sound very similar to hf5).. and i think, RE0 mids are better..

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 14
i like the etys better. Better durability, isolation, and overall faster & more accurate sound. The re0's are close, but just dont sound quite as good to my ear. Advantages of the re0's over the etys are wider soundstage & better ease of use.

Nov 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like the etys better. Better durability, isolation, and overall faster & more accurate sound. The re0's are close, but just dont sound quite as good to my ear. Advantages of the re0's over the etys are wider soundstage & better ease of use.

Better ease of use from easier insertion?

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

too bad t400s don't last very long, but maybe the isolation is just as good with shure olives, thoughts anyone?

Isolation between the Shure olives and the Comply are about equal. But, the (stock) Shure olives won't fit the RE0 unless you carefully cut out the plastic core. I did that, but now the olives won't stay on the RE0 when I take them out of my ear -- they stay in my ear when I take the RE0 out, and I have to dig the olives out. Oh, well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 14
jleewach, you say you like the HF5s more than the RE0s, yet you place the HF5s in your past obsessions and the RE0s in your current obsessions >_<.

how do the bass and mids compare btw?

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better ease of use from easier insertion?

Exactly, yes. Personally, the only way I can use the etyis to pull up the tops of my ears, insert the earphones, and attach the shirt clip (otherwise the cable tugs down on the cords). The RE0's can be easily worn over the ear, and they just pop in & out.

Quote:

jleewach, you say you like the HF5s more than the RE0s, yet you place the HF5s in your past obsessions and the RE0s in your current obsessions >_<.

how do the bass and mids compare btw?

Long story short, I sold the hf5's a while ago in need of some cash, and just recently got the RE0's to try them out. I'm seriously considering getting the hf5's again. The whole "past/present obsessions" thing is just my feeble attempt to sound witty describing what I'm currently listening to most. However, comparing the etys to re0 (without proper burn-in yet) ETY > RE0.
Perhaps this will change once I've had proper time to burn in.

Bass went deeper w/ the ety's, but has a stronger impact w/ the RE0's (because of the dynamic driver). I'd rate bass stronger w/ the etys, but this is strictly personal preference (as I like accurate bass over tactile bass). Mids-wise, both are pretty good. I think the mids might seem stronger on the RE0's because they stand out more than on the etys, since the ety's have stronger bass & treble. However, to me, the etys blend the mids & the sparkling highs in a much more pleasing way.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

how is that combo compared to other iems you've tried? I'm coming from pfes and want something at least just as good, in terms of isolation.

Curious, why sell the PFEs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back