HF1 vs MS2i some comparisons (quick)
Oct 15, 2005 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
This isn't a review at all. The HF1's aren't even fully broken in yet, but they are sounding very nice... I took some notes comparing how metallica - unforgiven comapred between the 2 cans on my setup....

The HF1's only have about 20 hours on them now, but they are seeming to change already, the low end is opening up a bit, and they are sounding really nice. I already decided to compare them to my recabled MS2i with the song unforgiven...
Rather interesting, but i do seem to "enjoy" the song more with HF1, but the MS2i is far more percise and representative of the recording i feel, and is also seemingly more affected by my ipods dac. Both sound great, yet these are just my notes quickly:

System details:
Ipod Photo-> Pocket Dock-> Signal Cable analog mini> grace 901

MS2i recabled with blacksilver from headphile.
Bowls used on both for the sake of comparisons. Though i do prefer flatpads and i'll explain a bit more later sometime. They are kind of irrelevant for the comparison so i'll compare bowl pads on only.

Metallica - Unforgiven

MS2i;

Sense of distance is immediatly present, imaging is excellent.
Notes seem more full and carry more detail
High end extension is excellent more detail
Cymbals sound very impressive, guitars crunch and rhythm, lead guitar are more "independant"
Decay is faster (cymbal clash and don't blur)
Bass less emphasized, Sense of seperation between instruments.
More sound information exposes flaws of the ipod
Syntheizer is more obvious, seems seperated from other instruments
Attention to details seems to distract me, inferior ipod dac seems to be exposed for what is, exposes grainy sounding high end (since it's not rolled off like HF1)
Vocals sound better, due to more space the voice seems to pop out rather then blend in
When song is busy? Lead guitar stands out, attention is drawn closer.
Shows off recording as it seems to be intended, doesn't seem to change the presentation.
Focus shifts to different instruments, almost in an intended way.

HF1;
Treble seems more energentic and feels good to the ear.
Less high end extension
Musicality is better, euprhoic warmth with midrange
Midbass more noticable, yet detail is less, more visceral compared to ms2i
Decay is slower, dynamics seem slower in general (decay is mushy)
Instruments aren't seperated as much
Less high end and low end details, seems to hide the flaws of ipod dac
Presentation is great, Sound seems less critical of flaws of ipod dac
Imaging inferior, Midrange has a creamy texture?
Instruments seem to bleed onto each other ("muddier")?
Cymbals aren't as great as MS2i in this song, but bass sounds more pleasant
Listening experience seems to be more exciting
Seems to focus less on details, and more on fun presentation.

James voice just doesn't seem independant, nor do any of the instruments, they seem kind of mushed together. This isn't particularlly a bad thing.
Non distorted guitar seems very warm and textured. This doesn't seem 'real' though.

Anyhow, just some notes jotted, as they break in maybe i can post some more comments here... I figured if they sound this good already, why not say something ?

Yet, i'm sure they will only improve, so it's early to form conclusions. This can give you expectations though, out of the box i suppose (or 20 hours later ; ) ).

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for the impressions, mjg. I'm paying close attention to all higher-end Grado reviews, as upgradeitis has struck once again. The Alessandro MS-2i seems particularly well matched to my sonic preferences, my budget, and sense of aesthetics.

Err, not to join the parade of general negativity on the HF-1 and Grado, but I'm glad I held off on this one. I'd rather buy something higher on the ladder and contribute separately. Enjoy both of your great cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Thanks for the impressions, mjg. I'm paying close attention to all higher-end Grado reviews, as upgradeitis has struck once again. The Alessandro MS-2i seems particularly well matched to my sonic preferences, my budget, and sense of aesthetics.

Err, not to join the parade of general negativity on the HF-1 and Grado, but I'm glad I held off on this one. I'd rather buy something higher on the ladder and contribute separately. Enjoy both of your great cans
smily_headphones1.gif

The best way i can look at these, is like an RS tasting prestige series, a great bang for the buck, not a upper top tier grado, but certainly at the top rung of prestige but offering something special as well.

THey are fun, and i'm keeping them regardless, im enjoying them alot, if this hobby wasnt about nitpicking, and solely about enjoying wha tyou had, these cans are great for that, yet lets get real, we are all audiophiles and music lovers, yet audiophile seems to take precedence for most (despite what we try to tell ourselves).

They are not the numero uno grado cans, but if you want a great can, these are someting nice : ] I love the punchy bass, they do something fun that i am enjoying alot...

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 23
IMHO HF1 mids start to clear up around 50 hours of burn in / use.

Out of the box mine were noticeably more conjested than my well used MS2. Headstage starts to present itself better too. Vocals and solo instruments are very "in the head" sounding (compaerd to the MS2) with other instruments distance-ing themselves a little.

IMHO iof course.
Garrett

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 23
I can see where your going with that... i agree, but i'll let more time pass.

I gotta say already though, not a major complaint, but the stock cable, has gotta go. I'm more used to a heavy duty cable on my grados, and this cable isn't fitting for the quality of the can. I guess I hate stock headphone cables ; ). I also feel the high and low end can be opened up a bit more (hopefully it will happen naturally a bit more so as well).

Comments on that?

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I can see where your going with that... i agree, but i'll let more time pass.

I gotta say already though, not a major complaint, but the stock cable, has gotta go. I'm more used to a heavy duty cable on my grados, and this cable isn't fitting for the quality of the can. I guess I hate stock headphone cables ; ). I also feel the high and low end can be opened up a bit more (hopefully it will happen naturally a bit more so as well).

Comments on that?

I'm glad that the HF1 sounds so different than the MS2. IMHO the 2 compliment each other very well. I for one HOPE the HF1 bass bloat and mids don't tame down too much... I already have that in an MS2.

Yes.. a recable is in the works for me as well. I for one am going to take advantage of Grados poor quality control....
dscn63019lc.jpg

dscn63029ih.jpg

If only my MS2 came apart this easily.

The canare star quad recables I have (SR40, K240s) have all added a little to the sub bass realm and increased clarity across the spectrum. IMHO those cans came with vastly inferior cables compared to the MS2 and HF1 OEM cables. So with those cans the cable mod was very noticeable.

Not sure how much difference I am going to notice going from HF1 OEM to Canare.... Or some other form of copper. IMHO the OEM Grado cable uses somewhat heavy AWG copper.

?????

Garrett

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 23
seeing those taken apart so easily is making me curious how the hf-1 would sound with a recable. i also have some canare starquad lying around and an extra neutrik connector i could use. maybe i should wait until i have more time on the hf-1.

i still haven't done a good comparison between the hf1 and the ms2 but initial impression is that the ms2 sound smoother overall.

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Thanks for the impressions, keep them coming...

Have a MS2i already and held off the HF-1 so far. Trying to decide whether to give the HF-1 a go or to just wait for awhile and go straight to the RS-1.

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 23
So basically, if i want to enjoy my music, going with the HF-1 is a better idea than the MS2i?
Are there any known mods for Grados that lets you add a metal grill and replace the plastic?

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
So basically, if i want to enjoy my music, going with the HF-1 is a better idea than the MS2i?
Are there any known mods for Grados that lets you add a metal grill and replace the plastic?

Nah, actually i like(enjoy i guess) the alessandro ms2i, alot more, but the HF1 sound more "fun" for lack of better words, on certain tracks... They add a certain charisma that wasn't there particullarly, but has this tasty feel to it... A splash of fun to the sound, does it make sense? Throwing the ms2i back on, is basiclly almost like sobering up, and cleaning my glasses, everything seems alot cleaner, and things feel more realistic ; ).

HF1 sound like euphoric, very organic.... emotional, MS2i sound alot more sober, articulate, polished, and retain the emotion (but not nearly as much gobs of textured goodness), but put on a better show of technical ability (and demand better recording/source quality in the process).

Earlier i felt the bass felt more visceral with HF1, yet i feel going back to ms2i not the case, perhaps the bass is a tad boomier instead.

Oct 16, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 23
w1ned,

both come quarted.. If you asked me which one i'd get, you know my choice ; ). If RS1's were in my nearer future, i would've gotten those instead of hf1's. They are a tasty treat and a fun diffrence to keep for my tastes. MS2i are my choice, and i really got lucky to find them because prior i was never so involved with my setup as to not feel the need to upgrade always. I settled down with these for along time. Nothing else (in my price range) has given me that so far.

Oct 16, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned

No, I enjoy my MS-2i more, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back