HF-1 the Insanity Continues
Feb 20, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #91 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
The cable is the bigger upgrade per Larrys site, and we all have our own opinions of re-cabling.

FYI...according to Larry, the cable is approximately half of the HF-1 improvement. The rest is the wood housings.

The HF-1 is unique as the driver alone can be inserted into a new chamber. This is different from other grados (such as 225's) because the entire plastic housing (and driver) is inserted inside a decorative wood piece with no acoustic benefit.

On those, the cable provides literally all of the benefit. With HF-1's, additional benefit is gained from the new wood chamber. This is why HF-1's have been deemed as supremely "moddable".

This was explained to me via an email from Larry, I can post if desired.

I am certain that anyone hearing a stock and woodied HF-1 together would immediately hear a VERY substantial difference between the two. Whether that individual feels it is an improvement is up to them.....

I hope to hear and compare an RS-1 to HHF-1's this week....I'm very much looking forward to comparing
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #92 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
really?
says who?
I can name numerous products that have easily sold for more than ten times their original worth in alot less than ten years.

"Market price only goes so far beyond its worth"...

What are you kidding me?
What about artwork?
Limited edition sports cars?
Baseball Cards?
Beanie Babies!
Skateboards from my childhood selling for 5-10 times what we payed for them when I was a kid (on Ebay).
And, some of the above were produced in far larger numbers than 451.

Market price will go as high as the person whose willing to pay it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I can easily see the HF-1 selling for $1000 in few years time

I was right. You were wrong. Thank you, I'll be here until Wednesday of next week.

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #93 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
I was right. You were wrong. Thank you, I'll be here until Wednesday of next week.

Did you just bump a 4 month old thread to patronize another member?

Wait few years in my book is 3 years. Couple of years is 2 years.

The HF-1 was released in September 2005. It hasn't even been a year yet smart guy.

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #94 of 106
Quote:

Did you just bump a 4 month old thread to patronize another member?

Wait few years in my book is 3 years. Couple of years is 2 years.

The HF-1 was released in September 2005. It hasn't even been a year yet smart guy.

well, I'll just have to rebump this thread next year then
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #96 of 106
Let's lighten the tone a bit, please....

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #97 of 106
Quote:

So you still didn't understand what I meant by 3 years....amazing.

well now, don't be bitter just because the HF-1 prices are going down
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #99 of 106
Quote:

I don't have a HF-1 anymore
confused.gif

then why the caustic tone?
confused.gif

lighten up, I'm just taking my 15 minutes of fame by gloating
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #100 of 106
Caustic tone me
tongue.gif

I didn't bump an old thread with
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

edit: and I never claimed that the HF-1 would be worth so much in the short term. I don't think the HP-1000 series headphones gained in value in such a short period of time. But given how popular they are I really do think the HF-1 will escalate in value.

Feel free to bump this thread, I'd have forgotten about it long ago (and might not even be here). Seems you're still clinging onto it though
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #103 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a perfect world, I suppose, all the profit made over and above the $200 purchase price would be donated to Head-Fi...now THAT would be an end-result that nobody could reasonably get upset about.
biggrin.gif

I've been away from Head-Fi for years, and came back to the surprised realization that HF-1s are fetching $300-$500 in resale. It has me thinking how I would price them if I decided to sell them one day, and I would either:

1) Sell them at the original $200 price tag or less.
or
2) Sell them for an inflated value and donate anything above the $200 to either Head-Fi or a charity of some sort.

Cause in the end, I feel that to mark it up for personal gain kind of cheapens the intent.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #105 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphiremodena /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been away from Head-Fi for years, and came back to the surprised realization that HF-1s are fetching $300-$500 in resale. It has me thinking how I would price them if I decided to sell them one day...

...Cause in the end, I feel that to mark it up for personal gain kind of cheapens the intent.

when i first joined Head-Fi, HF-1s were selling for $300-$325.

a few months later, i recall one member asking in a thread what the going rate was. he then packaged his HF-1s with an extra set of flats and Headphile C-Pads (~$140 value), and priced the whole lot for $450.
fair enough.

a short while later, i recall the op in another thread asking what HF-1s were worth. i think members were giving him the $450 figure without taking into consideration the extra pads in that sale.

voila...almost overnight the HF-1s had increased in price by $100. and oddly, this seemed to pass by with little notice.

i read somewhere that John Grado put together this special Head-Fi offer with the stipulation that no member could horde more than one pair; that no sales were to take place outside the forum; and that these were not to be profited from (correct me if i'm wrong).

it seems a shame that, as a result of the breaking of all the rules, there will probably never be an HF-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back