HF-1 + Millet = Heaven!
Nov 21, 2005 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jerb

Headphoneus Supremus
Since I finished my Millet (just doing case work now) I’ve been listening to it with my DT770's to less than Jake, Reel big fish, some Radiohead and Muse but for fun I plugged in my HF-1's, which so far have not seen too much use, queued up some less than Jake (hello rockview for any fans) and I noticed the more shrill and instrument was the better it sounded, guitar solos sounded great and trumpet blasts were amazing! I decided to queue up a mix of Incubus "Morning view" and "Crow left of murder" + some System of a down "hypnotize" two very different genres to test my new discovery. System sounded great but I was missing something, then I queued up a few Incubus songs and still missing something. They both had a very warm laid back but very clear signature to them.

I decided to try out different pads with my discovery; I started with the bowls which had been my favorite thus far. Sounded Great but it was missing something. Next were the unmodified SR-80 pads. Very comfy but I lost all the sparkling Treble that made me give these cans a second chance. Lastly was a pair of vwaps... Perfect!

The guitars in Incubus and System never sounded so alive! The soundstage isn’t anything to brag about but it has such a lively tune I can help but bob my head and tap my foot! The guitars are clear and pronounced and vocals are as they should, perhaps a little laid back still but hardly worth complaining but the bass is amazing!

I tend to be a little bit of a bass head, my favorite phone until now being the modified DT770's. There was plenty of bass and it was at times a little overpowering, system sounded good but the background guitars were slurred and vocals had a veil and the treble didn’t seem to sparkle as it did with the Grado's. I wasn’t a big fan of the Grado's until now because of the Bass, It was there but seemed to stop and not give me the lowest freq. with the bowl pads, it was clear and controlled but not plentiful enough to really be a rocking phone. Equipped with the vwaps these are a horse of a different color, the "sub bass" I guess its called is amazing, not the kind of bass that you hear but the really low stuff that makes you feel like the guitar is in front of you!

Long story short I think the Tube amp + Vwaps is the combination (for me) that does the HF-1's justice. I think I have a new contender for "fav Headphone Ever!”

rs1smile.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 21
you make me want to not sell my HF-1. Hopefully I can power my Millet up for the first time on monday night and then I'll be able to share in your bliss

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 21
I have to agree!! This is the combination I like best too!!! I liked it first with the HF-1 & recently I aquired an RS1 & that is the combo for me with them as well. And I have to say that the vwaps w/the Hornet is a very similar sound to my ears. The Hornet sounds a bit quicker to me - but very similar to the Millett w/the Grados & vwaps.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 21
Millet + HF1/MS2 is my main rig. I see no need to escalate up the Grado ladder from here. To my ears it would not be worth the price/perfomance. The millets warm sound and open soundstage works great with the mid-fi Grados.

Garrett

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 21
Wow, I'm a little surprised to hear this. HF-1 strikes me as having an inherent tubey presentation. I'd expect a pairing with the Millett to be in danger of having too much of a good thing. I suppose I'm going to have to give this a try
smily_headphones1.gif

Me, I'm enjoying my HF-1 on a Dynalo
basshead.gif
rs1smile.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 21
once again Id love to give it a try but I dont have a dynalo to test it on (hint hint if you wanna send me yours as an early xmas present
wink.gif
)

I had them paired with my Blueberry Emotion+ before along with the bowls. Lots and Lots of bass but all very controlled, the sound seemed to be very sharp and constricted but very analytical at the same time
redface.gif
I found it boring so I had put the HF-1's away but this is a whole different beast
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
I had them paired with my Blueberry Emotion+ before...

Where'd you hear that?

I'd prefer you to PM me
biggrin.gif
, rather than detour this thread topic.

Garrett

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
I had them paired with my Blueberry Emotion+ before...

woops
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 21
I also love the HF-1 with the Millett. I do not have an output resistor in the amp, FWIW, and there are six output buffers in place. Sounds just great to me. I prefer the HF-1 on this amp over the HD650s and K701s by a good margin. I also have a pair of SR225s. These are horrid on the Millett.
plainface.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 21
I agree... The Millett was my choice w/ my 325i's and is again with my HF-1's. The M3 does well with them, but there's a warmth with the Millett that makes the Grados sing to my ears. And the drop-in discrete diamond buffers that are in the works are a big improvement in bass and treble detail without losing the Millett's signature sound.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
Excuse me?

I hardly meant any offense! If you read further I said it had a much more analytical soudn to it with alot of clear, concise bass. Overall its a great amp and sounds amazing with the DT770 but It didnt suit my tastes for what I thought the HF-1 should sound like. If my original post was misleading please take this as my apology (I said RA-1 clone because I'm not sure what kind of circuit it is, I just know it sounds better IMO with the beyers)

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 21
DOH yeah there are very few phrases that are the unspoken Forbidden Phrases, and no one should say them without caution! They are the following-

1) "RA-1 Clone"
eek.gif

2) "Point-to-Point with twist-ties"
wink.gif

3) "Double Blind Testing"
confused.gif

4) "Pizza Box"
tongue.gif

5) "Burn-in doesn't exist"
rolleyes.gif

6) "How do you pronounce 'Grado?'"
smily_headphones1.gif

I am sure there are more, but I just couldn't go on. Do a search for this stuff, I'm not going to elaborate!
cool.gif
(all tongue in cheek, of course this stuff isn't banned talk but its old dirt best left in the past.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back