Hey, what type of listener do you describe yourself as?
Jun 30, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #31 of 35
That's right - even though it was ME who created this poll, I voted for "Huh? I don't know $?!% about audio!" because I have yet to hear a really great pair of headphones or loudspeakers! (e.g. I haven't yet heard any pairs of Sennheiser 580's or 600's or Grado RS-series cans)
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #32 of 35
I listen exclusively to headphones, because in order to attain the same levels of sound quality and satisfaction via a speaker-based system would cost me trop beaucoup de dollars. Right now, I have a CD player running straight into a headphone amp, straight into headphones. Because of the simplicity of this system, I can (and have) spent my money on the highest-quality stuff I could afford.

If I had to deal with a pre-amp, amp, speakers, additional interconnnects and speaker wire, I'd have to either knock over a bank or live with less enjoyable sound quality (or both). Not to mention the troubles associated with speaker placement, sweet-spot sitting arrangements, room acoustics, etc. With my headphones, I get the best possible sound whether I'm standing, sitting on the floor, or laying in bed.

I guess all of this makes me an audiophile. The music is of primary importance, of course, and much of my music sounds horrendous, recording-wise, but I still want to hear as much of the musical truth (i.e. EVERYTHING on the recording) as I can.

Let's face it fellas, sound matters. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here!

Jun 30, 2001 at 7:09 AM Post #33 of 35
I have what I would consider a respectable speaker setup, but my HD600/Headroom (old)Max really blow it out of the water as far as detail and clarity are concerned.

For soundstage, bass impact, and sheer volume, the speakers win.

Aug 9, 2001 at 4:55 PM Post #35 of 35
I was in the process of trying to build a home theater system when I got a little too addicted to watching DVDs at school. So my parents have now forbidden me from bringing my DVD player back to school in the fall after seeing my grades. So, since I can't buy any more speakers (no point if they're only goign to be enjoyed by my parents) and I'd like to be able to listen to music at work, I have decided to get a decent pair of cans.

And I think I did pretty well with my decision. I have been enjoying my HD600s for about a month now, and I LOVE them, I think I would call myself an audiophile on a budget
wink.gif
. I never thought I'd ever own anything that was a Stereophile recommended component, and now I have a Class A pair of headphones, life is good. Now I'm waiting for my OBH-11 to arrive, yay, another recommended component, although this time, it's class C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back