Hey new to audiophile grade hardware, got a few questions.
Nov 5, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #16 of 28
So they have a lot more applications in Pro audio and enthusiast setups. Appreciate all the info guys!
At least for now I guess, not something beginners like me and the op really have to worry about too much.

Welcome to Head-Fi.Sorry about your wallet
haha thanks for the warning :wink:

Nov 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #17 of 28
So they have a lot more applications in Pro audio and enthusiast setups. Appreciate all the info guys!
At least for now I guess, not something beginners like me and the op really have to worry about too much.

haha thanks for the warning :wink:
Some people might like the sound don’t know . I would steer away from monitoring or studio headphones as they are meant for the studio even though many are just marketed that way. If you are doing recordings then maybe but listening to music not so much but some are good for that too. I think they just prey on some saying studio or monitors and makes one thinks they are hearing what was played in the studio but that can’t be further from the truth as it is mixed down and then sent to mastering where they try to make it sound as good as it can be on many platforms. Just as many want powered monitor speakers and I think they would be much better off with a pair of bookshelves speakers and a nice little amp. But that is just my opinion and to each their own.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #18 of 28
well i currently have some DT990 pro 250 ohm which i do use for monitors in a little usb tascam interface sometimes but i mainly use them for movies shows and music and couldn't be happier with the sound, to me they are clear and analytical enough for recording but also really fun for entertainment purposes. i got the 250 ohm because i thought it would go well with the amp and DAC i have so i never really considered 600 ohm headphones. i get your point with stuff for studios vs listening at home, i wouldn't choose to listen to movies and music on Ns10s in a home setup

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 28
well i currently have some DT990 pro 250 ohm which i do use for monitors in a little usb tascam interface sometimes but i mainly use them for movies shows and music and couldn't be happier with the sound, to me they are clear and analytical enough for recording but also really fun for entertainment purposes. i got the 250 ohm because i thought it would go well with the amp and DAC i have so i never really considered 600 ohm headphones. i get your point with stuff for studios vs listening at home, i wouldn't choose to listen to movies and music on Ns10s in a home setup
Never said anything wrong with monitor headphones as some are pretty good for other things and the biggest think is if you like them then your good. Don’t worry about what others say about a particular headphone or device that you have if you like it that is all that matters.

Nov 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 28
yes but...
do you like my headphones?
hahaha

Nov 5, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 28
yes but...
do you like my headphones?
hahaha
Me personally I’m not a fan of the 990’s. Not that they are bad but not what I like. I will always give my opinion of one or another but you asked what I liked. I have heard a lot of Beyer headphones but don’t own any and that is not because I don’t like them it is just a matter of others just grabbed my interest before them. I also like planars and have had many more of them .

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 28
Well i plan on spending a decent penny on a dac for home, so i wasnt too worried about powering 600ohm headphones, but if there really is no specific benefit to 600ohm for me, ill prob go with something more reasonable. Im completely open to any suggestions honestly, as im still new at this. Anybody here know a place in chicago u can try out high grade headphones? Cuz i know like best buy isnt gonna have any lol. Im very content with my 770s for the truck, but i wanna go all out for the home.
I went with beyerdynamics cuz i loved the well built feel to them, and looking at the frequency response charts they seemed to be the most even of all the headphones in that price range. My main problem is i love bass, but i hate when headphones muddy the sound with bass. My old g930s did that. I figured i would be best off getting the clearest headphones and then driving the bass up at will with a dac amp.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 28
I figured i would be best off getting the clearest headphones and then driving the bass up at will with a dac amp
A DAC/Amp isn't going to magically give you more bass. An underpowered headphone might have a lack of bass and in that case, you will get more bass if you start to drive them properly, however a headphone which isn't underpowered won't give you more bass by just adding a better Dac/Amp to your audio chain.

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 28
I figured i would be best off getting the clearest headphones and then driving the bass up at will with a dac amp.
Don't know any good places to try out headphones in your area, but if you can find somewhere and try some out that would be awesome.
Because I think there are a lot more elements to getting satisfying bass than what you can get using EQ / bass boost. (Others can explain better or correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't think EQ can easily correct bass on the wrong headphones? Could end up being muddy or boomy or you might end up with more distortion?

Nov 6, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #27 of 28
Don't know any good places to try out headphones in your area, but if you can find somewhere and try some out that would be awesome.
Because I think there are a lot more elements to getting satisfying bass than what you can get using EQ / bass boost. (Others can explain better or correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't think EQ can easily correct bass on the wrong headphones? Could end up being muddy or boomy or you might end up with more distortion?
Yep that's pretty much correct. Depending on the driver, you might just end up clipping it since the bass boost is just a generic increase in the lower frequency. Each driver has a different response, some might work well with the bass boost, other not so much. Like I mentioned earlier, digital EQ is a better option as you can customize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back