Hey, new head-fier here, I need some advice for some earphones.
Mar 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

theyazzern

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi people, I've been a frequent visitor of this site since August last year, and finally decided to join. I should just point out that I am not very experienced, nor very knowledgeable about Audio equipment in general, so please don't roll your eyes too much at my questions.

Ok,so last week my sony mdr ex510's(cable)  finally broke, so  I'm in the market for some decent(approaching audiophile) quality earphones for under 350 dollars, I plan on driving the phones directly from my walkman, so earphones that require a portable amp are out of the question. large earphones, open types, and phones with a biased signature are also a no-no; accuracy is very important to me as far as sound reproduction goes.

some phones that have really piqued my interest are:
the newly announced sennheiser apmerior
the beyerdynamic t50p, and the dt 1350( and whats the difference between the two?)
the new sony xba-3 balanced armature earbuds
the sony mdr 7550 studio iems
the beyerdynamic mmx 101 ie buds

any opinions are welcome, however, I would highly appreciate it if actual owners of these sets reply, THANKS!

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 10
I haven't heard most of the items on your list, but I've compared the DT1350 and HD25. The DT1350 is not as bassy HD25. The HD25 is slightly more comfortable compared to the DT1350. The DT1350 is rather neutral IMO. So what kind of music do you listen to?

Mar 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 10
wow, I can't believe that I forgot to  include genre in my description. I listen to everything from pop to classical music, but I mostly listen to house, and electronic music.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 10
yes I've heard that the hd 25's handle that sort of music very well , but I didn't mention the hd25s, I mentioned the amperior. aren't they basically the same earphones? with the amperior being the newer, updated version?

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 10
350.. that's a lot to spend on a HP or IEM straight out of a walkman. The HD-25s are a bit harder to drive than most IEMs and portable headphones. The HD-25s have a U-shaped sound signature and clamp pretty tightly around the head. I had my brother try them on and he really didn't like the clamping pressure applied on the HD-25 so comfort is very subjective. On the other hand, the Beyer DT1350 and T50p have less clamping force and sounds more "neutral". I haven't tried the DT1350, but I have tried the T50p. I really didn't like it. I don't know why but it's rare for me to dislike a HP... It felt weak and the sound didn't have any "wow" factors for me.. IEMs are highly recommended like the Vsonic GR07 and Shure SE425, as they are also in your price range. Even Westone 2, UM2, and even the 3 might be a consideration.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 10
that's an interesting take on things, but I heard the new hd25s(amperiors) have an impedance of about 18 ohms, my walkman will be able to drive these cans  surely? and what of the dt1350, will my pmp be able to drive that? I would much prefere to buy a pair of supranurals than IEMs, which i believe most of your suggestions were.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Bur will the new HD-25s even sound good? Hard to say right now, but if this makes you feel any better I think the walkman is sufficent for the HD-25-ii. It likes to be amped, but it won't sound terrible without one.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
the beyerdynamic t50p, and the dt 1350( and whats the difference between the two?)

The T50p has more of a treble emphasis with excellent extension. The mids sound disjointed and woolly on it though. They clamp less than the DT1350.

The DT1350 has what I consider to have the best midrange compared to its competition amongst portable headphones. Bass-wise there's not much sub-bass but it's fast and punchy with no muddiness. Speed and attack is second to none. They clamp more firmly compared to the T50p, so noise isolation is pretty good. It's a more balanced version of the T50p's, essentially. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #10 of 10
thanks for clearing that up, I couldn't for the life of me tell the difference between the two, now I find myself leaning towards the beyer  instead of the hd 25s. any word on the durability of the dt 1350s? I plan on using it for the gym and my daily commute, pretty heavy usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back