Hey, looking for some good all-rounder headphones (under 250)
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Garraty

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I'm trying to find some good all-rounder headphones (I like alt rock, indie pop, bit of jangle pop, classical, etc.) that are around $175- $250. (preferably maybe a bit cheaper than $250, but I'm open to suggestions) I would prefer an open back  headphone that has good, little punchy yet not overwhelming bass, clear and creamy mids and unsibilant treble. The phones should have at least fairly good clarity, transparency and soundstage. I would like the headphones to be comfortable, but sound is more of a necessity. 

I've looked around quite a few threads but I've found little. I don't think I would like any AKG's or any Beyerdynamic's from what I've heard about them. I've heard the Senn 598's are good except for a tad of mid-bloom and underwhelming bass. I've also heard the Hifiman HE-400's are also good but they're a bit expensive at around $305 on eBay. I've got my eye on the Soundmagic HP200 as they seem to fit my needs, but I've heard little about them no matter where I search. I would like any suggestions- so say any good ones that come to mind! (BTW, if it helps, I own the Klipsch M40 but it seems almost no one has them.)

Thanks! 
atsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 24
You might try adding he-300's to your possible headphones.  They have a very neutral and warm sound profile.  They are also exactly $250 so that might be stretching your budget, especially if you do not have, or want, an amplifier to drive them.

All of the other options that you are looking at sound like good options.

In that price range another good option would be AKG 701's (you said you didn't want these but I will throw them out there as another options)
These headphones really excel for their price range but have a very problematic lack of bass.  

Best of luck!

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 24
The HE-300 might be a good choice. I haven't heard it, but reviews suggest that it matches your desired sound. I have the HE-400. It has a pretty sibilant treble. This can be fixed if you use EQ however. The bass is not overwhelming, but it is very punchy and deep. Soundstage is not the largest you can get, but it is very 3D. Clarity is excellent. Some people do not find them comfortable as they are fairly heavy, but they are perfectly comfortable to me. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 24
  The HE-300 might be a good choice. I haven't heard it, but reviews suggest that it matches your desired sound. I have the HE-400. It has a pretty sibilant treble. This can be fixed if you use EQ however. The bass is not overwhelming, but it is very punchy and deep. Soundstage is not the largest you can get, but it is very 3D. Clarity is excellent. Some people do not find them comfortable as they are fairly heavy, but they are perfectly comfortable to me. 

You might try adding he-300's to your possible headphones.  They have a very neutral and warm sound profile.  They are also exactly $250 so that might be stretching your budget, especially if you do not have, or want, an amplifier to drive them.

All of the other options that you are looking at sound like good options.

In that price range another good option would be AKG 701's (you said you didn't want these but I will throw them out there as another options)
These headphones really excel for their price range but have a very problematic lack of bass.  

Best of luck!

Hmm... I think that the HE-300's would be good but I have heard that they are very warm and somewhat unbalanced for some- plus they are only $50 less than the HE-400's I saw on eBay before. Do you have any other recommendations?

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 24
  "creamy mids and unsibilant treble" sounds like you want a warm headphone. I wouldn't hold the warm description against the HE-300. For another suggestion, a used Sennheiser HD-580, HD-600, or HD-650 might be up your alley. Another option is the ZMF modded T-50RP: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/about-the-zmf/

True, true. I'm not sure I'll be able to find the HD-600 or the HD-650's for under $250 easily- but the HD-580's seem like an option. The ZMF are intriguing, if a little vague. Do you have any experience with the HD-580's or the ZMF's? Is the ZMF open or closed?

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 24
True, true. Yet, I'm still iffy considering the HE-300's. Though I don't think I can get an HD 600 or HD 650 for $300, the HD 580 seems like a possible option. Have you had experience with the HD 580's or HE-300's?

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 24
I think the senneheiser hd598 would be a good option
I find that they are not very bass-light (probably not entirely accurate coming from a k702 owner), and probably have some of the best clarity, transparency and soundstage in the price range.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #9 of 24
  I think the senneheiser hd598 would be a good option
I find that they are not very bass-light (probably not entirely accurate coming from a k702 owner), and probably have some of the best clarity, transparency and soundstage in the price range.

I am considering the HD 598's but I could find a used HD 580 for $200-$250 online. Do you think the HD 598's perform better than the HD 580's?

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #15 of 24
From what i've read the AKG K612 is slightly warmer than the 701/702.
Might be worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back