Hey joelongwood, how's the EMP?
Jan 29, 2002 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kubernetes

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering how you're enjoying the new amp...

Oh, and because you have one of the largest collection of headphones on this board, I was wondering what phones you've tried out of the EMP, and which ones work and which ones don't?

Jan 29, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey Kubernetes, thanks for asking. Bottom line? I'm lovin' it!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far, I've listened at length to the Sennheiser HD-600, the Sony CD-3000, CD-1700, Grado RS-1, and SR-325.
I think the EMP matches up well with all of them. Last night I was listening to some Peggy Lee recordings from the 40s and 50s using the CD1700s. I think they're my favorite for female vocals right now. Her voice is so smooth and sultry coming out of those things.......it's pretty scary how real her voice sounds to me.
The HD600s, as many others have said, do match up extremely well with the EMP. The veil, which I always felt was there with the Senns, is gone. They are utterly transparent now. But the distance is still there. I prefer a more up-front presentation. I hadn't been listening to the CD3000s for quite awhile because I thought they were too bright sounding.....very detailed......but on the bright side. With the EMP, that brightness is tamed considerably. There is no sibilance at all on anything......even on CDs that I know created sibilance before. The Grados also fare well with the EMP.......the bass is particularly wonderful with the 325s, as is the whole frequency spectrum. I have yet to try the HP-1s or the Etymotics.........I'm busy listening to some of my CDs all over again. All in all, I'm extremely happy with this amp. Besides being beautiful to look at (IMHO), the sound it delivers is addicting. For the first time, I know what people are talking about when they use the word "liquid" in describing tube sound. So far, I haven't found any headphones that don't work well out of this thing....................................but I'll keep lookin'.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I think they're my favorite for female vocals right now. Her voice is so smooth and sultry coming out of those things.......

Ahhh...such is the beauty of the EMP.
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to be so convinced that tube-lovers were delusional, seeing as how solid-state was SO OBVIOUSLY superior... But I'm a complete convert now. Female vocals just sound so smooth and pure! And bass is just a revelation out of the EMP!

I'd like to know if etys sound okay out of this thing too... keep me updated, joe

Jan 31, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 9
...I have been slowly writing observations and musings on my EMP (in a hype-free, calm and collected fashion, as befits a review of a relatively higher-ticket price item) and one of the things I've been most pleased with is that this is the first time I've listened to any system I've owned (including the venerable RS-1/RA-1 combo) and have actually wanted to keep on listening for more than, say, twenty or thirty minutes.

In fact, I don't even have to think about wanting to. I just get utterly knocked out and sent to a whole other world (please note again that I am trying to restrain my enthusiasm for now, until I have mucho experience).

This thing is like drugs; it ought to be illegal. I feel so spoiled and almost...guilty for owning it.

That's all I'm posting for now.

- Matt

p.s. don't take this as an endorsement of drug-taking. They suck, dudes (ask my avatar, he knows).

Feb 5, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

I'd like to know if etys sound okay out of this thing too... keep me updated, joe

EMP/Ety ER-4S update: NOT GOOD!! For some reason, there is not enough power to drive the Ety ER-4S properly.
frown.gif
The volume control has to be close to max and it sounds like there's some clipping on loud passages. If I recall correctly, Markl had the same experience with this combination. Hearing is believing.
redface.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 9
Talking about female vocals, my AKG K1000's sound great.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

hey joe, if you have a tube amp someday (I don't see one in your profile), you may want to consider the AKG K1000's.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

hey joe, if you have a tube amp someday (I don't see one in your profile), you may want to consider the AKG K1000's.

Actually, I have two Dynaco SCA-35 tubed integrateds and two Dynaco Stereo 70 power amps. I've thought about the K1000s, but I can't seem to get past their looks.....or the looks my wife would give me if I wore them!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I've thought about the K1000s, but I can't seem to get past their looks.....or the looks my wife would give me if I wore them

haha, that's why I close the door whenever I put them on my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back