Hey, I just want to listen to music....
Aug 24, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 24
I'm pretty sure that you have to do everything through iTunes if you want to use Apple Lossless. With FLAC, you can use most audio players, the notable exception being iTunes (for some reason, no one seems to think that FLAC is useful at all in quicktime since Apple Lossless exists). At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't like to use anything but EAC or cdparanoia to rip. When using other programs I've discovered too many read errors after ripping and encoding to bother with less reliable methods. Since there does not appear to be a CLI for Apple Lossless, it can't be used with either of those methods, though.

edit: I'm stupid, and didn't read that right... sorry. Most programs for burning stuff that I know of don't transcode on the fly, so I think you pretty much have to do it in 2 steps.

Aug 24, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zurg
I recommend the M-Audio Transit. Since it is a USB device, it is trivial to hook up and for the price, it produces very nice sound. Very low hassle, very good sound, modest price.

$68 at Florida Music Company

-Z

IMHO the Chaintech 710 sounds MUCH better than the m-audio sonica, not sure if that holds true for the transit as well, I suspect it might.

Aug 27, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 24
on the resampling bit :
i been using upsampling pretty much all this time (192 on emu, 96 on av-710), but I just came to a conclusion unresampled sound was the cure for the harshness/sibilance/fatigue i was getting with highs. at the cost of less 'airiness' maybe, but much smoother sounding now, to me anyway. IIRC, av-710 sounded better upsampled; however, i cant say the same goes for my emu-1212m. <05% cpu utilization as opposed to 40~60% doesnt hurt either
biggrin.gif

by all means try it yourself and find out what you like. i am one of those people who get highly irritated by pronounced highs and find them very fatiguing, and upsampling on emu-1212m seems to add to that effect.

oh btw did i say i just got my ppx3 today, gotta love this thing! too bad i cant take any pics till tomorrow
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
on the resampling bit :
i been using upsampling pretty much all this time (192 on emu, 96 on av-710), but I just came to a conclusion unresampled sound was the cure for the harshness/sibilance/fatigue i was getting with highs. at the cost of less 'airiness' maybe, but much smoother sounding now, to me anyway. IIRC, av-710 sounded better upsampled; however, i cant say the same goes for my e
frown.gif

Delete post.......my bad

Aug 27, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #21 of 24
Honestly, if all you are going to do is play music, the MatchMix interface is not hard at all. If you need any help when you get your 1212M, there are many people here (including I) that are more than willing to assist. Great card, I love mine. Very detailed and great music will only sound better.

Aug 28, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 24
Alright, I just got in my E-Mu 1212m!!!! It sounds fantastic!

My fears were unfounded- this thing is not hard at all to install and set up (at least for basic playback like I'm doing).

I notice that the only strips that installed for "host inputs" in the Default Session were as follows:

Strip 1- WAVE L/R
Strip 2- ASIO OUT 31/32

So far, everything seems to play in WAVE L/R only (CDs, iTunes, etc).

Does anything play on "ASIO OUT 31/32"? Can "ASIO OUT 31/32" be used to play C/Ds and iTunes instead of WAVE L/R? If so, would there be any reason to do this? Is one supposed to sound better than the other?

Finally, I wonder why Strip 2 is ASIO OUT 31/32, instead of ASIO OUT 1/2? What's the difference between ASIO 31/32 and ASIO 1/2 anyway (or maybe there is no difference)??

Thanks!
-Bob

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 24
The best way to output music is to send it via ASIO out your I/O card's 1/2. Set up an ASIO with whatever resolution you choose and insert a send through your I/O card's 1/2 out. Configure foobar or whatever ASIO music program you have to output ASIO and you are good to go. ASIO bypasses kmixer. Kmixer=bad.

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAI
Does anything play on "ASIO OUT 31/32"? Can "ASIO OUT 31/32" be used to play C/Ds and iTunes instead of WAVE L/R? If so, would there be any reason to do this? Is one supposed to sound better than the other?

Finally, I wonder why Strip 2 is ASIO OUT 31/32, instead of ASIO OUT 1/2? What's the difference between ASIO 31/32 and ASIO 1/2 anyway (or maybe there is no difference)??

You can't use ASIO out with iTunes. Using ASIO would have better quality since it bypasses kmixer.

For non music editing apps ASIO 1/2 is no different than 31/32 it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back