hey guys
Feb 9, 2016 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

houstontexans

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm a music aficionado.  I listen to anything as long as it sounds good to me.  I'm thinking of buying some headphones.  My range is $225.  I really don't know anything about headphones.  The only haves that I have in the past were some monster headphones, sony headphones, and the ones that came with the ipod.  At home I have some B&w CMC10 with an external Adcom amplifier and cd player just for 2 channel listening.  I mainly have cds.  I have a record player but havent set it up yet.  I'm thinking of getting some headphones for my ipod.  I like to listen to music while mowing the yard or jogging at the park.  Basically anything with outside activities.  Most of my music are mp3 so not the best compare to cd quality or vinyl.  Will the headphones really make an improvement or do I have to get an amp as well?  I really don't want to go that route as I already have something set up at home, and I only want the headphones for whenever I'm outside of my house. 
Can you guys recommend me some brand of headphones?  So far I have heard of Sony, Bose, Vmodas 100, skully candy, sennheiser, and something audio technica?  I really don't want beats as everyone has had them and I heard the built quality sucks for the price they are selling vs the production cost.  I really don't want to exceed the $225 price as I never bought headphones this expensive and its mainly just for when I'm outside. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 13
I think that the V-moda m100s you just mentioned will do the job. My explanation is that, I personally dont pay attention to details while excersicing, or jogging, but I do pay a lot of attention to the bass and the music genre. I listen to active audio, like songs by Calvin Harris, Eminem, Green Day, the Arctic Monkeys, the Red Hots, etc., I dont mind about the quality, of course, inside of the boundaries of the respectable, but all I want while at the gym or just running is the bass, a decent audio quality, and commodity (wireless/small headphones, but still over ear). If I was you I would grab the V-Moda M100s, of course, if it was only about exercising. And most probably I would save up to get the bluetooths, because I practice on the sandbag, and its really annoying to have a cable hanging in front of you. An advice of me, besides getting the M100s, would be to download your stuff in MP3 320kbps quality, this will be quite compact, but the sound quality will be quite good too, this is what I do to use my phone to the max, and soon Ill get either a portable DAC/amp, or a hi res audio player, like a walkman or the FiiO X3 ii.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 13
They are ok, just ok. Its not your headphone if you are looking for a flat frequency response, and pure sound, but it is a fun headphone. Dont forget they also have the life protection program (half the price for damaged parts), the fact that they are built like a tank, are relatively small, and offer bluetooth (which is specially good at excersicing), and, finally, its really important that they are fun. Imagine yourself jogging with, wires, a boring sound signature (plane), and bulky headphones, also, I dont know if you mind, but if you use, say, Fidelios X2s while running, or some Fostex, people will just stare at you, whereas, V-Modas have a nice design and would be more accepted than other headphones. When excersicing, I believe anyone would sweat and feel heat on the cups of the headphones, and sometimes feel uncomfortable, however, I trade that small uncomfortable factor for the fact that my ears are having fun, it seems like a nice deal to me. I would totally get the V-Moda M100s, I think they are worth it, again, if its only for exercising. And another advice, you dont really have to focus only on over-ear headphones, you can also check IEMs, Jaybirds are famous among the audio lovers who also like to exercise.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you wapencio.  Can you recommend me another brand around $250?  I notice that the vmoda m100 right now is around $210.  Is there a sound difference if I get the cordless version?  I read that shure, beyer, and akg are also good brand as well as grado?  I want to do some research before buying them.  Don't want to make an impulse buy.  I did 4 or 5 months of research before I bought my B&W cmc10 speakers.  Can I plug these head phones into an ipod or lets say my home stereo through my receiver or cd player?  I have the money now, but if I can nspend a little more or do some research on other brands before I buy them.

Feb 10, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 13
I could give more recommendations, but, I have to ask again, what functionality do you want for them? Like, only or exercising? or for exercising and going out, like while in a car or train, etc. There will most likely be a difference if you use the wire vs bluetooth, however, you can use them interchangeably if you have the bluetooth version of the M100s, so, you can decide when to sacrifice quality for comfort, or viceversa. You can plug them to an average audio player, but, it will probably be better if you get a hi res audio player, or an external DAC/amp and plug it to your phone or iPod.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 13
  I could give more recommendations, but, I have to ask again, what functionality do you want for them? Like, only or exercising? or for exercising and going out, like while in a car or train, etc. There will most likely be a difference if you use the wire vs bluetooth, however, you can use them interchangeably if you have the bluetooth version of the M100s, so, you can decide when to sacrifice quality for comfort, or viceversa. You can plug them to an average audio player, but, it will probably be better if you get a hi res audio player, or an external DAC/amp and plug it to your phone or iPod.

I really don't want a DAC/amp or any other components.  Yeah mainly just for exercising or jogging.  I search on here and some have said that there are even better headphones for around the same price so I just wanted to make sure.  HOw bout the beyerdynamic dt990?  One thing that I like by reading diff threads of m100 is that its not big so its good for exercising.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 13

I'm thinking of getting some headphones for my ipod.  I like to listen to music while mowing the yard or jogging at the park.   

Headphones will leak a lot of sound in - it will already be a problem with ambient noise while jogging, and more so if by "mowing" you mean you use one of those motorized lawnmowers. Look into using In-Ear Monitors, like the Havi B3 Pro or VSonic VSD3, or even the MEE M6Pro - all below $100 BTW.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 13
I went ahead and bought the vmoda m100. So far so goods. 8 got it in the shadow color. These are really good. The bass is punchy. I was listening to them with miles davis kind of blues and some fiana krall aongs. Sounds amazing. I usuallh just yurn these on my loudspeakera and go to sleep. The music kept me indulge today. For a few seconds i thought someone was printing out aome papera. Then i put it on pause and turn around. Silence... I could actually listen to thr diff instruments of the song. I didnt notice this before on my b&w speakers. The b&w has a pretty good tweeter. Maybe i wasnt listening as closely on my speakers lol. One thing i find lacking is the vocals. The femalw vocals on my speakers is very clean. The vmoda is kind of flat. However they are less expensive and smaller than the speakers. They are still very clear and i like the basd on the vmoda.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 13
Probably you find the mids that good because of the V shaped frequency response. There are a lot of female singers that need emphasis on the mids, and thats what the M100s cannot offer. Who are these female singers that you like listening to?

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #13 of 13
I listened to them for some time on youtube. Seems Diana Krall and Fiona Apple, sing great, I love Diana Krall and Fiona Apple, however, they need a huge emphasis on their mids, which is what the M100s dont offer. Sarah McLachlan and Whitney Houston also need emphasis on the mids, but they also sing on the highs, so, these should sound somewhat good on the M100s, since thee headphones have a good emphasis on the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back