Hey Guys Newbie here looking for advice on collecting and management
Aug 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Fooshoo

New Head-Fier
Well long story short, but I'm 17 and I love building computers and collecting music and I need advice on managing my collection going forward.

I currently have ~12,000 songs. I originally started collecting rap/hip-hop, specifically underground Houston rap and other underground music, although I have plenty of old school "mainstream" rap as well. My rap collection totals around 8,000 tracks, all complete albums. The other genres I like, bluegrass, older country, classical, rock, and jazz are slowly picking up steam and I'm increasing my collections of those. Most of my music is 320kbps (90%) with some being lower quality, while all of it is tagged perfectly with album art embedded in each file. 

My concern is that it is extremely time consuming for me to fix tags and do all the other management that comes along with the music each time I make a purchase. 

I currently use Mp3Tag to tag them. Is there a better program than this one?

I currently use WinAmp as my media player and that's about all I do with it. I don't use any features that go along with it. Is there a better program for me to be using? Or should it be fine if it's working fine for me?

I currently use mp3gain to normalize all of my tracks because some of them sounded super quiet off of the rip and that was an issue for me. Everything I've read suggests that this doesn't hurt quality, but does it? And if it does, is it only a negligible amount?

Also, any other tips you have on managing and growing collections, while staying organized would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Edit: I also only collect full albums.

My current folder structure goes like this > Music > Genre > Artist > Albums listed by year 
My artist folder in my rap section looks like this...

http://i.imgur.com/NECCjS3.png

Is there any better way to structure this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back