Hey guys, any musicians can give some IEM's help? (PSM etc..)
Dec 23, 2006 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Holybanana

Head-Fier
Well, I got my Shure E500's about two monthes ago, and I absolutely love them!
At the moment, I'm using the out of my iPods and out of my PC, both with my 06 Total Bithead.

Now, as a drummer, I want to start using them at my bands rehearsals and gigs, but I have to get some hearing protection before, right?

If you have some knowledge about IEM's as used by musicians, you skip the following paragraph and scroll down straight to my questions.

By blocking almost all external noise and putting a super hi fidelity speaker right next to your eardrum, you can hear exactly what you want to hear at a much lower volume. The volume can be kept low since you don't have to fight with ambient noise and the sound does'nt have to travel far.
But - Not using the required safety equipment with IEM's means risking permanent hearing damage, and we should not, under any circumstances plug IEM's directly into a sound board.
A sudden volume surge or feedback coming through could cause irreversible damage in less then one second.
A proper IEM setup will have the IEM's plugged into a belt pack (with wired or wireless). This belt pack has a volume control that the user can control. There is no chance of someone accidently turning up the volume on you which can EASILY happen on a sound board. Most belt packs also have a limiter that you can set which once set up, makes it impossible for any sounds over a certain level to come through, even if you accidently turn the volume up. Most IEM tranmitters have limiters as well. This doubles the protection.

And to my questions-
Is Shure's PSM systems the only solution?
For example, my Total Bithead won't function as a limiter, right?
Are there any cheaper devices that will do the work until I'll have the money for a PSM?

Lets say that I will decide to save enough money in otder to purchase one of Shure's PSM, as a drummer, I think that a wired system will be ok for my needs, since I do not move a lot (if all) on the stage. What do you think? do I have any reason to get a wireless system?

In our rehearsals, we use a small 6 channels mixer.
Which PSM system will you recommend for me?
I'm thinking about going with the wired PSM 400 - P4MHWE3 , which includes the P4M Mixer, and then sell the E3's to one of my band members, or just buying the other parts from this package without the headphones, because I have nothing to do with the E3's.
Any other suggestions or tips?

Thanks a lot guys, this subject is really important to me.

Dec 24, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 18
well being a rock/jazz drummer I've used a bit of an array of monitoring gear, and I honestly much preferred the wireless system. I know you don't technically move around alot, but I also sang as well, and if I hadn't sprung for wireless in both, the gear tends to get tangled and really a mess. Coming back on for an encore is an excercise in frustration, believe me.

Dec 24, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well being a rock/jazz drummer I've used a bit of an array of monitoring gear, and I honestly much preferred the wireless system. I know you don't technically move around alot, but I also sang as well, and if I hadn't sprung for wireless in both, the gear tends to get tangled and really a mess. Coming back on for an encore is an excercise in frustration, believe me.

Thanks a lot.
Which systems did you used?
I understand what you are saying, but taking the IEM's out and then putting them cack in for an encore won't be that bad..
Well, I guss it's down to the price, of course that a wireless system will be much more comfortable, but I just don't know if it's woth the extra money..
Thanks again.

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holybanana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I think that a wired system will be ok for my needs, since I do not move a lot (if all) on the stage. What do you think? do I have any reason to get a wireless system?

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...PSM200_content

"The P2R Hybrid Bodypack Receiver is the world's first bodypack receiver to function as a wired receiver, a wireless receiver, or both at the same time"

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Question /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...PSM200_content

"The P2R Hybrid Bodypack Receiver is the world's first bodypack receiver to function as a wired receiver, a wireless receiver, or both at the same time"

Receiver could be bought first, and used as wired body pack then whole set could be copmpleted when enough funds collected
smily_headphones1.gif

But- IIRC, The PSM 200 is mono, which isn't that great of course.
And the PSM 400 is stereo, so that's not a problem.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holybanana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, looks like the main difference between the PSM 200 and the PSM 400 is that the 200 is mono while the 400 is stereo.
What's the differense between the PSM 400 and the PSM 600?

hmmm, bump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back