hey audiophiles, where do you store such a massive library of FLAC files besides a computer?
Jan 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

TegraStorm

100+ Head-Fier
i don't really get it, i've read of you guys having libraries with 300gb of pure flac files and besides your computer where do you store such a massive library? my library is aprox. 80gb right now and struggling with 64gb micro sd cards so from where do you guys get so much? ive heard of 128 microsd cards but seem to not go right with 64gb devices (like the fiio x3, says it supports up to 64gb)... also read of formatting the card to be compatible with those but back to the question, how?

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 40
You don't take it all with you. You manage the library on the computer, and select different albums, artists or tracks to rotate in and out of your on-the-go device. My bet is that you have a considerable amount of music that you want to keep, but you don't listen to very often - or that you used to listen to all the time, but it is no longer part of your daily set. I know I do.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 40
My bet is that you have a considerable amount of music that you want to keep, but you don't listen to very often - or that you used to listen to all the time, but it is no longer part of your daily set. I know I do.

problem is my music library expands by 15gb every month if not more, and sometimes i am listening to trance and just decide to hear some synthpop, then reggae, so sadly it doesn't work like that for me (sigh) i listen to music 6-8 hours a day so... yeah music addiction

You don't take it all with you.

shouldn't i do that?

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 40
Just because you want to carry it all doesn't mean you can do it easily. The real world does impose limitations. You could carry a laptop with a 4 TB external USB drive. If you want access to every song in the world, in flac lossless, at the tip of your fingers - well, all I can say is good luck. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 40
my engineer friend told me the same
tongue.gif
 even though 4tb would be awesome it doesnt fit in my pocket (unless its 2 SSD's) but, i just want a good portable high capacity player, i dont get how there can be SSD's of such a big size and no one putting one of those in a portable.

anyways, my idea is to get a Fiio x3 portable music player and get 2 64gb micro sd cards, and when i dont want to hear the music from A-O i switch to the other micro sd and hear artists which start from P-Z, basically change between 2 64gb cards pretending i have 128gb. do you know if i can stick out the micro sd in a x3 player without turning it off?

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 40
 They make a 512GB usb drive

128 + 64 = 512gb?  <--- nevermind already searched, seems you have a windows surface pro 2 tablet

anyways if its pricy then i guess no. i guess ill stick to getting 2 micro sd cards for use with galaxy s4 advance or fiio x3 if i buy it...

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 40
He was saying they also make a 512gb USB drive, but they are running around $500 right now.

You could wait for the Fiio X5, it has two sd ports.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 40
Jan 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 40
Jan 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 40
I have a Synology NAS and can listen to every song (30,000+) on my phone anywhere I have internet access with the DS audio app.

This is how you do it OP. Assuming you don't have network limitations and the associated knowledge to set it up. JRiver and Plex both work well too.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #14 of 40
   Assuming you don't have network limitations and the associated knowledge to set it up.

im fine with learning the concern for me would be the network... Guatemala is pretty much alot of mountains and valleys (& some tunnels) so it wont be fun. but its something i would get if my internet wouldnt be gone every 3 minutes. i am picturing myself even more than before how i will be carrying  my phone and 5 64gb micro sd cards inside the case... i just hope i can connect an external SSD to the fiio x5... you can right?

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 40
I have a Synology NAS and can listen to every song (30,000+) on my phone anywhere I have internet access with the DS audio app.

I suspect you aren't streaming 24/192K FLAC files. I'm also betting you aren't paying LTE data charges to stream 8 hours a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back