HeSuVi / VBCable audio glitches - Help please
Feb 1, 2021 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jose Hidalgo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I have successfully installed HeSuVi with VBCable using this tutorial :
Here's my current setup :
  • CABLE input, CABLE output and my sound card (ESI Juli@) are all configured at the same bitrate/samplerate (24/44.1).
    (why 44.1 instead of 48 ? Because my goal is to play music, and 99% of my FLAC files are of course 44100 Hz)
  • CABLE input is configured for 7.1 sound
I play music as follows : foobar2000 --> Output = Default: CABLE input
And I select wav presets on HeSuVi.

It all works and sounds great in my headphones : I have spatialized sound via HeSuVi, it's really amazing.

... BUT I have audio glitches every 30 seconds or so ! 😱 Which makes it impossible to listen to a whole song.
Their intervals vary, it can be anytime in the 20-45 seconds period approximately.

I have changed VBCable's samplerate to 44100 too (and rebooted), but it doesn't change anything.

What can I do to identify the problem and solve it ? @jaakkopasanen , any hints ? Anybody ? Thank you.

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 3
I keep on investigating. Could it be the buffer size of my physical PCI sound card ? (ESI Juli@).
The default buffer size is 256 samples (that I've been using for 10 years without any issues).
VBCable's default buffer size is 7168 samples.
I tried to increase my sound card's buffer size, but Windows wouldn't let me, because some "MME multichannel application or service" was denying it. 🤦‍♂️

It had of course to be VBCable, since it was the only thing with multichannel settings.
Unfortunately I didn't find any way to "disable" VBCable in order to "free" my sound card. AFAIK the control panel doesn't give such option. So I had to uninstall it.

Once successfully uninstalled and rebooted, I had finally access to my sound card latency settings.
I tried the biggest buffer size (2048 samples), but it just wouldn't work because to my surprise it prevented any of my videos (online or offline) from even playing ! 😱
That scared me a bit I must say, because at first I didn't know what was going on. Launching a regular mp4 file and seeing your regular player HANG and not do anything is a really scary sight.

Anyway, once I understood what was going on, I tried the next biggest buffer size (1024 samples). So far my PC seems to work well with it.
So maybe that 1024 samples buffer can solve my initial audio glitches issue. 🙏

But now I have to reinstall VBCable and resume my audio tests, and it's 3 AM and I'm not ready to face a new defeat.
Plus I'm a bit afraid because somehow VBCable seems to mess with my sound card by denying me access to its control panel, and I don't know how to disable such behaviour.
Plus the uninstall of VBCable wasn't even "clean" : after the uninstall AND the reboot, Windows was telling me that "it couldn't find a suitable driver for the VB-Cable device" :flushed: I had to go to the Device Manager and manually delete the device ! That's not a proper uninstall, sorry.

To sum it up, at this point I still don't know where the audio glitches come from. Could be my sound card's buffer size (let's hope for it), could be something else.
More to follow... maybe...

Any ideas in the meantime ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back