Heroic classical
Dec 5, 2001 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tooler

New Head-Fier
Classical experts -- got any recommendations for works that remind you of heroism? I'd like to try some out at the local library, so nothing too obscure. Thanks.

Dec 5, 2001 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 24
Well this may be too obvious, but Beethoven symphony 3 Eroica
(heroic) was composed as a tribute to Napolean.

Tchaikovsky symphony 6 pathetique, 3rd movement always reminds me of a triumphant general rushing into battle and conquering all. Alas only to be followed in the 4th movement by utter despair and resignation. (2nd movement is an unique bittersweet waltz like movement, like the last dance of a broken hearted lover) Of course 1812 overture is also pretty heroic stuff,
as well as Capriccio Italian

You might want to check CD collections of "marches" they always have a heroic theme to them......like the Vienese favorite Radetzky
march etc

B000040OX5.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Dec 5, 2001 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 24
Lieutenant Kije by Prokofiev, definitely. I first heard this on a CD which I am not finding right now (but not trying real hard, neither) called "three heroes" or some such, with two other "heroic" pieces (don't even remember if they were by different composers or not). But that one was my favorite. If anyone remembers more details about this recording, please post, because I never actually bought the album, just heard it once.

Mussorgsky's Pictures always hits me pretty ...erm... majestically, don't know if that's the same thing or not...

Dec 5, 2001 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 24
Dusty
If you check my profile I have very large classical collection. Don't you think gothic and classical are related, take Therion for instance.

I believe you are referring to Prokofiev "love of three oranges" suite op 33 which has the famous march and scherzo movements.
Or you may be referring to Lt Kije suite op 60, but I bet you were thinking of Three Oranges.

I really think our friend needs a "greatest marches" CD as this talk just reminded me of Grieg's "homage march" very heroic piece, as well as Elgar "pomp & circumstance" marches etc etc.
The Decca mid price double CD I show above is a great place to start.

Dec 5, 2001 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
If you check my profile I have very large classical collection.

Damn, 40%?!?!? Wow. You are my idol. :) How many copies do you have of Schubert's second piano trio (in E flat)? That's the one whose second movement was played in "The Hunger", and has since become inextricably intertwined with all things "dark" and "gothic". There are at least two "vampire"-related compilations with versions of this track on it (one by Beaux Art Trio -- blech -- and one by Vampire Rodents -- "...um...very...um...interesting..."). The funny thing is, that's not even why I like it, I came in during the second movement (while it was playing on the radio), yes, and I vaguely remembered it, yes, but it's the fourth movement which completely sweeps me away. I highly recommend the version by Trio Italliano on Arts, as that is a 24/96 recording and available on DAD. (Sorry, got a little carried away there.) Quote:

Don't you think gothic and classical are related, take Therion for instance.

Not from the other people I've met, but I'm beginning to change my opinion since coming here. Quote:

I believe you are referring to Prokofiev "love of three oranges" suite op 33 ...

Nope. It was a CD with three normally disparate pieces, no "Three Oranges". Hold on ...(looks)... hmmm...might have been this one:
B000000CAD.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
...but I am not sure, I have since vaguely remembered that one of the other two was another military type, Sargeant some such...? But possibly that was just to whom the piece was dedicated, and it was just a piano concerto. It would say in the liner notes, I am sure. It was an heroic-themed CD, and all I have to go on is what the announcer was saying, and that, I do not even remember very well.

Perhaps this question should be asked in a dedicated classical music forum, such as the one over on AA? Or possibly I should not be so impatient, and the answer may pop up here, eventually.

Dec 5, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Don't you think gothic and classical are related, take Therion for instance.

I think that most of us who listen to this style of extreme metal knew this for a long time.

I guess when most people think of metal, the image in there head sounds nothing like the type that we listen to.

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 24
Hey just to clear things up I am a male, use gothy female avatar
because they are so much cooler than any male one I can find.
Almost time for a new image now from my gothic vaults. Do you know any women with 6 sets of headphones Dusty? (that should be the dead give away! also the Cristina wallpaper) I will have to make special note in my profile so there is no confusion.

KR is shrewd enough to figure that out from the get go. BTW I wonder how many female members are here, I bet you can count them on one hand unfortunately.

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Hey just to clear things up I am a male...

I sorta knew that, just got sloppy, post edited so as to remain generic. Not that I care. You are more than welcome to represent yourself however you like. Quote:

...use gothy female avatar because they are so much cooler than any male one I can find.

Agreed, so who is "she"?

See also my post on thinking that coolvij was coltrane, stuart was...whoever...etc. Quote:

Do you know any women with 5 sets of headphones Dusty?...KR is shrewd enough to figure that out from the get go.

Other giveaways:

don't use personal pronouns a lot (don't know why, but that's a guy thing); you like Opeth -- that was the dead give away; L, just the fact that you like music as much as you do.

Just wasn't sure you wanted this information public.

Thought I had you with the whole commercial exchange, but you chose the wrong character upon which to focus. But then again, you didn't really answer the question, either. Quote:

I will have to make special note in my profile so there is no confusion.

It's just a checkbox. Quote:

BTW I wonder how many female members are here, I bet you can count them on one hand unfortunately.

I believe we had one...once...

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:29 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

...also the Cristina wallpaper...

Nope. You could have been a lesbian goth. I know one who would have drooled over Cristina similarly, and the picture kinda reminds me of her (except brunette), so that just didn't help.

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

See also my post on thinking that coolvij was coltrane, stuart was...whoever...etc.

Hehe... Dusty probably thinks I'm a robot with red earmuffs
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2001 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Hehe... Dusty probably thinks I'm a robot with red earmuffs

LOL!!!

Quote:

KR is shrewd enough to figure that out from the get go.

There were enough hints to assume as such.

Hell, if I ever find a female audiophile who is into headphones and likes the same music I do, ... I'll die of a heart attack.

Quote:

Check the pictures from the HeadRoom show. He 's in at least one of them.

Really? Which one is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back