Heresy - Prefer Ety ER6i to Shure E4c
Mar 24, 2006 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kschles

New Head-Fier
Because my UM2s are out of commission (that's another story), I've been using both the ER6i and E4c. Slowly, I've been coming to the conclusion that I prefer the Ety, and was wondering if there was anyone out there who agreed with me.

To preface these remarks, I use the shure triple flange tips on both sets of IEMs. They seem to work best for me and I think I have a good seal and great isolation with both. I listen to a lot of Pop and mainstream Rock, Blues and Jazz, some Country and Folk.

Conventional wisdom has the E4C way above the ER6i. Certainly the price says so. There's no denying that the Shures put forth incredibly beautiful vocals, but after awhile I'd get tired of them. Aside from the vocals, everything else seems to be in the background. Not much separation of instruments, it all seems to run together. This recess also seems to me why the bass is not very enjoyable.

By contrast, the ER6i seems to me to be much more balanced. Vocals and instruments can all be picked out. The bass seems balanced with the highs. I can listen to them for long periods of time and keep enjoying it. Perhaps you'd say I prefer the Ety sound to the Shure sound, but I'm not sure the E4cs really fit in with the Shure house sound. I do know that I'm probably headed to the Ety ER4p.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Considering that the er-6i is usually ranked a bit above the more-expensive e3c for sound quality...I'm not surprised some might prefer it to the e4c. At the least, you'd expect the two to be comparable.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 5
I find the etys pretty dead sounding which is why I prefer the E4. The E4's mids are so nice and smooth with pretty good bass and treble. I like both of them though.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 5
As I posted in an earlier thread, I just switched from the ER6i to the E4, and I am thrilled. I know the E4s are suppsedly not for bassheads, but the E4s have tons more bass than the ER6i. I modified the tri-flanges by cutting off the first (smallest flange) and cutting the stem down to almost nothing. It works very well for me, though if the phone nozzles are flush with the tips, the high end gets dulled. I just have to make sure they are not pressed on too far. I'd prefer to use the foamies, but they hardened up on me after a week, and that's just not financially sustainable for me.

In any case, to each his own (or to each his phone). Enjoy!
etysmile.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 5
I used to love the er6i's too but probably wouldn't like them above E4c's and definitely not above UM2's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back