Here's a useful tool for discovering new artists
Jul 25, 2005 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lastdodobird

Head-Fier
hey guys, here a nifty tool

http://www.audioscrobbler.com/explore/

This is the description from the site:
"Audioscrobbler builds a profile of your musical taste using a plugin for your media player (Winamp, iTunes, XMMS etc..). Plugins send the name of every song you play to the Audioscrobbler server, which updates your musical profile with the new song. Every person with a plugin has their own page on this site which shows their listening statistics. The system automatically matches you to people with a similar music taste, and generates personalised recommendations."

So type in the name of an artist, and it returns a list of other artists which fans of that artists have listened to. (sorted in order of times listened to)

For example, I've tried:
Sufjan Stevens - The top 5 artists that were returned were: The Decemberists, The Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Wilco and Elliott Smith
Teenage Fanclub - The top 5 artists that were returned were: The Wedding Present, Karma County, The Primary 5, Belle and Sebastian and Ride
The Lucksmiths - The top 5 artists that were returned were: The Primary 5, The Field Mice, Pipas, Acid House Kings and Tullycraft
Acid House Kings - The top 5 artists that were returned were: Club 8, the camera casanovas!, Allen Clapp, Airliner and The Primary 5

I personally find it very useful for discovering new artists

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

For example, I've tried:
Sufjan Stevens - The top 5 artists that were returned were: The Decemberists, The Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Wilco and Elliott Smith

Well, it looks to be very accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back