here we go again, another DAC search
Aug 14, 2007 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
Gotta hate these touchpads! One accidental click on the audiocube's ad and paragraphs' long writeup is lost
frown.gif

To make it short, I am looking for a DAC that could be found with a relative ease at $300-$400. A used one is preferrable if acoustic qualities are deemed higher than a new product with a comparable price tag on it. I could appreciate more detailed and clean sound, but not at the cost of warmness/lushness. In fact, non-fatiguing sound is the first and foremost criterion I am pursuing. Topology or time and location of design/construction is of little concern as long as it is "musical" and "engaging".

I have paid particular attention to impressions on Channel Island's VDA series, Stello DA100 (could be somewhat over budget), Pacific Valve's DAC-60/62 (possibly modded) among several others. As of now, I am still pondering on how much our tastes would differ in reality when reviewers find a certain product exceptional; many times they are using the same sennheiser phone as mine with a similar tube-based amp, but they wish to add more neutral or revealing source. I, on the other hand, want to upgrade to something even more relaxing, oh well
smily_headphones1.gif

Feel free to share your experience/suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back