Here they are, the headphones that make brain cancer a thing of the past.
Aug 30, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #16 of 29
For me this is just the sort of marketing gimmick that Ultrasone should be avoiding.
Certainly not the sort of 'technology' focus I would like to see from a company that purports to be so high-end.

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too bad.. Peter Pinna already left head-fi.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

this just may bring him back!

I'm sorry, but the phrase "Ultrasone's $1,500 pair of radiation reducing Edition 9 headphones" just sounds like it is a high-tech tin-foil hat to me.

One that took 9 tries to fold properly into said hat
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually get the impression that there aren't a lot of people that need to worry about brain cancer.

beerchug.gif

On a more serious note I look forward to the reviews (and subsequent FOTM fervor)
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 29
Lyrics from 'In the Shadows - The Rasmus'

Quote:

No sleep
No sleep until I am done with finding the answer
Won't stop
Won't stop before I find a cure for this cancer

AAAAAAAAAND ... Ultrasone must go on..they are not even close to cause of Cancer

Aug 30, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #20 of 29
well technically, most headphones provide some alpha and beta shielding because those are particles, but gamma? that stuff can mess you up.

also that article is ridiculous

Aug 30, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #22 of 29
If you want to avoid radiation, keep out of the 'death rays' being emitted by the big yellow thing in the sky!

BT

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 29
I understand the basic gist of this conversation, but (not to stray too far from the topic), brain cancer is a particular risk in two major situations. First, microwave radiation (like the kind that cops use to detect speeding motorists), and picking at pustules in the head area. The latter risks material passing directly through the blood-brain barrier.

Headphones emit slight magnetic radiation, which should be very safe. If headphones were a health risk, you'd hear about it.

Aug 31, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 29
Basically this amounts to sticking a sheet of high-permeability metal on either side of your head to protect yourself from the EM fields thrown off by the voice coil.

However, sticking your head between two pieces of high-permeability metal will also amplify the local power of fields that don't originate right next to them.

So if you were to wear these and sit in front of a CRT computer monitor, you would decrease the dose of EM that you might get from the headphones while greatly increasing the dose of EM that your head gets from the monitor.

Frankly the only solution that makes any kind of sense is to switch to electrostatic headphones.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #25 of 29
I wonder if the PRo900 will have the mid-gamma roll off and spike in upper alpha range the rest of the PRO series does ?
Also, I would think with S-logic+, you have no worries, because even if radiation got in your skull, it wouldn't concentrate on any one point but would be diffuse across the entire cranial area.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #26 of 29
I was using headphones for many years prior to the manufacture of any Ultrasone headphone and you would think that if brains caused headphone cacner, I would have.....what was I writing about? where am I? who am I? Oh, yes, I remember now.... it by now so probably telephones don't cause headphone brian.

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #27 of 29
I have an amusing image of the validation studies, with generations of white mice running around wearing little headphones all day long.

Seriously, if someone ends up buying one of these things for their "health benefits," I won't try to dissuade the from wasting their cash. That's what Head-Fi is all about, after all.

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #28 of 29
The health & safety angle is actually the primary reason i will never purchase an ultrasone product. I won't give my money to a company that engages in such hucksterism.

The secondary reason, of course, is the fletcher-munson inspired frequency response curve. If i wanted peaks there i would have EQ'd them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back