Here is the setup I'd like... what do you experts think?
Nov 22, 2005 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm not very knowledgable about computer soundcards, etc... I searched around a bit, and found some conflicting info. Some like the Audigy 2ZS, some like the EMU 0404 and 1212...

What I want is the best possible computer sound setup possible for audio only, not games. I am considering getting a Bechmark DAC1, if this is the case, do you guys think using the optical or SPDIF out varies largely between cards? Additionally, my headphone equipment is clear across the other side of another adjacent room (the rooms are open and connected). Part of me wants to possibly go wireless from the benchmark into some Wireless Music Transmitter... But what is the quality of these products? Etc... etc...

What do guys think? I primarily listen to lossless encoded stuff, but I have mp3's too. Basically I'd like to get it to my headphone amps in as pristine a way as possible and with the highest fidelity. Using looong wires doesn't seem to appealing either...

Thanks!

Neil

Neil

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Some like the Audigy 2ZS, some like the EMU 0404 and 1212...

let me correct you. some of us HAVE the audigy 2zs. but noone of us would claim that they sound good with music....
the good thing about this soundcard is that you will never have problems with game support. and you do not need that.

when using a dac you only need a "bit perfect" out. so most people just use the cheap chaintech av710 for this need.

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
The Benchmark can effectively quash the jitter imparted by 1000 feet of optical cable, so provided you don't live in an airplane hangar, you're safe just getting a bit-perfect car with optical output and running as much cable as you need.

I see... I didn't know it could do that.

Is the benchmark one of the better DAC's in the price bracket? What does a more expensive DAC get me? I've of course, heard rave reviews about this product.

Edit: are there high quality USB or Firewire soundcards with bitperfect Digital Outs? Portabiltiy would be useful.

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah with a benchmark just use the AV710 and run a long toslink to the DAC in the other room to use with your amps. While the idea of a long cable might sound annoying I wouldn't recommend any type of wireless transmitter unless you wanted to get an old used computer for $50, throw a wi-fi card and the AV710 in there, and stream your music from your 'real' computer to the music server.

I'm not too familiar with high end external cards so maybe someone else can help you there.

--Illah

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, we do have a computer in the room which we use to stream videos for use with our projector (also in the room) and it connects to my speaker system. However, I usually only turn this on when watching a movie from the network.

The reason I mention the external card though is because, regardless of where the music is actually stored, it can be access from any computer with network access. So if I setup my laptop w/ the external card right near the amps, I'd be able to select songs etc... right from the rocking chair
orphsmile.gif
Else, it could go to its resting place where we have all of our computers setup in the other adjoining room.

I wonder what a super long VGA cable would run me, or if it is even possible. It might be cool to just setup a monitor in the other room with a wireless mouse for a 'console' type of music controller.

options... options... I wonder how lossless out of this type of setup would compare to a burned CD out of my Esoteric...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back