Here are my first thoughts....
Oct 30, 2001 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Owen Meany

New Head-Fier
Well, after over 60 hours of continuous burn in I’ll tell you what I think. Set up: Audio Refinement Complete CD>Tara Labs Prisms>Ear Max> HD 600’s. Bio: This is my first real hp set up.

Of course when I first wrapped the 600s around my head it sounded dry, thin and anemic. Knowing that it would take awhile to get up to speed I just left the CDP going and going and going…putting on the hp’s now and again checking on the process and progress. It has now been 60+ hours. How does it sound now? Pretty good.

Post burn in I heard a dramatic change in the bottom end. The base goes deep while all the time remaining tight and accurate. I am really enjoying the bottom end. I have never been a base freak but this is nice. I have always been happy with home speakers that only flirt with the sub 40hz range.

Tonality. Very nice. Vocals are smooth and fairly uncolored. I am still only noticing some thinness on the upper midrange. Highs are extended and unrestricted. Dynamics are pretty good also, and seem to be getting better every time I listen.

My quibbles: Soundstage. Not very impressive. I have some CDs that I almost always use as a soundstage reference. And thus far, they sound pretty much like you would expect from hp’s. Which is to say, sound or stereo separation guised as soundstage. Does that make sense? But that is not a big deal, my motto has been “I don’t really care where the musician’s are on stage. I want to know WHY they are on stage”…And, in that regard, I do feel particularly close to the music. Emotion is well translated and the message is well receive. Another quibble would be the amount of detail that I know that I am missing. I point to the interconnects as the culprit. So I will not complain too much. I will, over the next few weeks be switching out cables from my main system and borrow others in an effort to bring out a little something extra as well as try to open up the stage a little. Could be the CDP, too…But I don’t think it is the 600s nor the amp.

I have to say that the most impressive aspect of all this is the Ear Max. What a nice little amp. I have a Bel Canto Evo in my home set up..and this little amp..has made really think about tubes in the main system.

I would really like some feed back as to your thoughts and opinions as to where I might go with all this…

jb

Oct 30, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 4
The HD600's are known for having a huge soundstage (for headphones, of course) so something is up. I never heard the Audio Refinement Complete CD or used the Tara Labs Prisms before.

My set is a budget one and I'm getting a big soundstage with them. I am currently use the Art Dio as my Dac, my DVD player as my Transport and high-end MIT cables for innterconnects. See my profile for more detail.

Since Jude (and that other fellow who's name escapes me at the moment) has heard more cables than anyone else in here, they should tell you how to get the most of your Earmax/600 combo.

BTW, is this the Earmax or Earmax Pro?

Oct 30, 2001 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 4
I never found the HD600's to have a very huge soundstage...you might want to try the AKG K501 instead. It's pretty cheap from headroom, only $150, and you can try it out and return it if you don't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back