Herbie's Super Black Hole
Feb 14, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #17 of 21
Feb 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
There are so many ignorant people who think that models of reality are the same thing as reality itself. In their MODEL of reality, they don't see how the CD mat could do anything, so they feel smug and think it's on topic for this thread to mock it. Pretty much the definition of sophomoric---that is, one who knows much less than he thinks he knows. I think most of these people are probably not older than high school sophomores, too---at least their poor writing skills suggest that.

Not sure if it is 'ignorance'. Seems to me that many folks think 'reading' is the ultimate form of 'listening'. 
To be honest, I do not understand the whole theory about how amp amplifies which does not bother me having 'fun' listening to music. Same with tweaks. Don't know about others, but moving speakers around is fun for me :)

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 21
I have a relatively 'young' system (less than 100 hours played). Having been bitten/beaten by the improvement 'bug' and reading mostly good things about the SBH, I went ahead and bought it.

To *my* ear it has brought something into the sound. I *think* it is for the better. But what is it?

Overall I perceive it to be (I am quoting the OP. I am not quoting the last part of the passage simply because I probably can't discern these qualities in music (yet?).)

Quote:
a difference to the transient behavior of the CD player, and improved resolution (including micrdynamics). It improved subtleties.

I have an Audiolab 8200CD and my testing CD was Deep Forest's Boheme. With SBH on I could perceive 'textures' to some electronic bass parts. These previously sounded as 1 'thump', but I realised it was actually 3 on top of each other. Didn't notice any adverse effects on areas like soundstage, coloration etc. Just a 'tidier' sound overall.

After these tests I have the SBH on all the CD's I listen to now. So I am not sure if some CDs/recordings/types of music react differently to it.

As the break in of my set-up continues I may try again later on to see (and write about) if the difference is still there.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #21 of 21
I have been using the black hole to watch some DVD's.  It seems that I am getting a "soap opera effect" or the 48fps effect from the new released format of the hobbit...if you saw that.  I don't see how that is possible as the black hole doesn't add frames.  Anyone else notice this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back