herbie hancock-river; the joni letters
Oct 6, 2007 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
This is hancocks latest CD and is a collection of his interpretations of Joni Mitchell songs and in songs that she also interpreted.

I know there is belief by some that jazz interpretations of pop songs is inherently bad and the results have often been less than stellar (miles davis version of Michael Jackson's Human Nature)

However i think this is one of the most listenable and enjoyable jazz albums I have heard in awhile. It's has several strong guest vocals as well as Joni Mitchell herself on it and they are first rate.

If you are looking for avant garde or progressive, look elsewhere, but if you want one of the great jazz piano players playing some great songs, this is an album worth checking out.

Anybody else heard this?

EDIT: Woohoo 1000th post!

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is hancocks latest CD and is a collection of his interpretations of Joni Mitchell songs and in songs that she also interpreted.

I know there is belief by some that jazz interpretations of pop songs is inherently bad and the results have often been less than stellar (miles davis version of Michael Jackson's Human Nature)

However i think this is one of the most listenable and enjoyable jazz albums I have heard in awhile. It's has several strong guest vocals as well as Joni Mitchell herself on it and they are first rate.

If you are looking for avant garde or progressive, look elsewhere, but if you want one of the great jazz piano players playing some great songs, this is an album worth checking out.

Anybody else heard this?

EDIT: Woohoo 1000th post!

Gratz on your 1K! And thanks for the recommendation--I'll check it out.

I'm not sure if this is "pop," but Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" was my introduction to Jazz, and I never get tired of hearing it.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 12
I would never thumb my nose at a Jazz musician reinterpreting popular music. After all one of my favorite Jazz recordings is Miles Davis Porgy and Bess.

Have you heard Herbie's The New Standard CD? It's great!

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 12
About everything Herbie Hancock has done that I know is very good, even fantastic.

His career with Miles Davis in the second quintet, and also the Headhunters album is music I listen regularly. As well has his Blue Note Best Of

I should check his new stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 12
I caught one track from this, I believe it was a Corinne Bailey Rae collaboration on "River", on a jazz radio station. If the rest of the album is that good, I'm going to jump on it.

As for jazz interpretations of pop music, there are some cracking ones out there. There's a STELLAR album of Stevie Wonder standards called "Superstition: The music of Stevie Wonder", that you really should check out.

Oh, and then there's Brad Meldau's Paranoid Android, and The Cinematic Orchestra's Exit Music(For a Film). I guess you could say that I like it when jazz guys take apart a pop song... a bit...

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 12
And there's also Straight To My Heart (The Bob Belden Ensemble Performs The Music of Sting)

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 12
I have really enjoyed the Joni Letters at work a few times already on Rhapsody. I plan to pick up the disc too. It is well done and the sound (even though I am only listening on Rhapsody) seems to be very solid.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 12
thanks to the above for the suggestions especially the Stevie Wonder one.

I'm liking the album more with each listen. Tea leaf Prophecy is so far my favorite on the CD and it features Joni herself.

Joni Mitchell has a huge amount of Jazz in her work anyway. I think Mingus is one of her best and most underated works.

Her new album shine is also quite good

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About everything Herbie Hancock has done that I know is very good, even fantastic.

+1

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 12
I got the album on Ruckus, but it didn't have every song so I am waiting for the CD to arrive sometime next week. It is an excellent CD. I can't believe it hasn't gotten more attention. I don't like Jazz nor pop very much, but I love the songs I have so far. The lyrics are great and sung VERY well, and the piano is just perfect.
I can't wait for it to come.

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It did win Album of the year at the Grammy's.

I guess what I meant was that it hasn't gotten much praise here on Head-Fi, which i was surprised about, but maybe I just missed the threads where it was mentioned or commended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back