Herb Reichert - The Feral Eye
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tansand

100+ Head-Fier
I was remembering this article yesterday, good writing. :)

" I have a confession to make. By any rational standard, I am not qualified to design an audio amplifier. I have built every feasible circuit. I have read dozens of books and even studied in the classroom of my mentor Arthur Loesch. Still, after almost twenty years of trying, I feel radically unprepared for the chore.

I am a slow learner and I have the worst memory in the world, which may be an asset but it sure is embarrassment. I sound like a darn fool when discussing mathematical problems. I continue to ask the same dumb questions and rely on the advice and consul of guys like Steve Berger, J.C. Morrison, Komuro, Andy Grove, Kondo and Nobu Shishido. Without their help this amplifier would not exist.

On close examination, the only real talents I can muster are a basic ability to paint pictures and a potential to (sometimes) be quiet and listen. My (imagined?) capacity to glimpse a painting, read poem or visualize the forces of nature is the source of my belief that I can indeed design audio amplifiers.

The Secret Is Forgetting
In order to make anything of exceptional value the maker must be untethered. As long as we truly believe that there are definite rules or concepts that govern our endeavors, as long as we are conscious of any notion that says we can't do something, we will mostly fail. To be free and create something original, we must embrace purposelessness. In fine art, when purpose is too much in evidence, the ART is no longer there. The creation becomes a machine or an advertisement. Beauty is replaced and the not so beautiful hand of the artist becomes altogether too obvious.

In art, the simplest ink sketch — even if seemingly very crudely executed — can stimulate deep feelings and engage the focus of our whole being. Amplifiers must do the same and present music as if we were facing our own personal nature directly. When we listen to music in the home we should feel every pulsation of it as if it belonged to us. Reproduced music attracts our attention most easily when we can "identify" our own nature in it. Therefore we should let our own character resonate in the design of the amplifier."

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0709/ferel_eye.htm

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 5
My favourite reviewer. Thanks for the post

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 5
licht-roy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back