Hendrix Albums, which is the best sound quality?
Nov 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

noremedy

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I want to experience a bit of Hendrix, and while knowing a few of his main hits, i want to become more familiar with some of his other songs. However, many albums i have read up on are critisized about their sound quality.

My question is, which of his albums will give me the experience I want, with both good music and excellent quality?

Ben.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Hendrix in the West gets my vote. But that's on vinyl...I don't know if there is a good version on iTunes (there isn't, I just checked). How can iTunes have such a limited selection of Hendrix? Only a couple were iTunes Plus. I have Electric Ladyland on vinyl and CD -- neither sound very good.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 8
The MCA release of studio outtakes and warm ups from 1994 called Blues has decent sound. Consistency does vary from track to track, however.

Irregardless of sound quality you will still want to include AYE and Axis in your collection though.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 8
BTW, Hendrix In the West on cd is available from Amazon, but price is ridiculous.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 8
My opinion... Electric Ladyland. Hendrix does not usually impress with sound quality, but this one sounds fairly good and the music is outstanding.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 8
I find Axis to be really well mixed and really implements the whole stereo format quite well. Mitch's drums are actually mixed quite well which is quite a departure from the debut in which Mitch sounded like he was playing down the hallway! However close miking of drums was something that really hadn't been used much at all in contemporary production at that time.

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Hendrix is really a no-win situation if you're looking for good sound quality. If you find the old first pressing cd's, you get low-generation tapes and not high detail. But on the other hand they are not compressed and no-noised and not harsh. The newly remastered discs from Experience Hendrix use the master tapes and give a little better detail, but they are compressed and use no-noise. Not the worst example of modern mastering but still not up 'great sound quality'.

Pick your poison I suppose, although the new ones are easier to find are are cheaper.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back