Helsinki Meet Impressions
Jul 17, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 24
plainsong,

Your impression of the HD600/Cardas cable is very similar to my experience with that combo. (And yes, I own one of the HD600/Cardas combos, with a 10-foot cable.) The Cardas cable took everything that I like about the stock HD600, and strengthened them.

Jul 17, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 24
The DT531 had bass, but it had so litle impact it felt very thin.
For me the diffrence between Ultrasones was that while DVD had more impact on bass and litlebit laidback on high and mid, the trackmaster at least modded one, was more agressive.
Perraux with DVD edition seemed to be litlebit agressive. Didnt work well that way, but with senns it worked ok. The knob was just crap. Im not to bitchy on things like this, but because i listened lower levels as others, and even with senns the perraux was allmost at minimum, and when the knob is so tiney and hmm... crappy.. it pretty mutch made it useless for meh in a way. I might concider perraux if either listened on louder levels, or it would have better knob on default.
I remembered that senns were ok. But the combo of sennheiser hd600, meiers cables and prehead was just nice. Theres diff between cardass and meier, but is it worth the moneyy in my opinion? no. Didnt try the default cable.

Another thing we noticed was none of us could heard senn veil.
Euro Ipod seemed to be cripled on the bass somehow. there was just nothing.

Oh and no grado for me.

Bass diffrence between ultrasone 650DE and beyer dt770 was intresting. DT770 had litlebit more bass, but IMHO was litlebit boomy, as in DE it was more tight.

The things I will need to do:
Finnish modding my ultrasone 650DE (for me its worth it)
Listen to sennheiser hd650 and either get it or hd600 (more likely the 650 as the price diffrence is huge)
Get meier amp
Concider getting the rio for portable use
Getting another meier amp
Rob a bank and cry.

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 24
Yeah, the Rio Karma had a nice sound. In fact before I turned it on I was dead set against it, but no, it's very nice.

Did you try the dt770's with the Perreaux, KJ? I don't have many hours with this combo, but it wasn't too bad, just too much bass for me.

Rob a bank and cry.. I think we'll be the sequal to that Pahat Pojat movie.

"A gang of three go on a bank robbing spree in order to buy .....

Headphone gear??" The Daltons of Head-fi.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 24
What a great mini-meet!

I'm sorry for having delayed my impressions due to being off the computer, but here's finally some thoughts.

Comparing equipment in meets
- I think it is very difficult to assess components especially minor sonic differences, not to mention synergy. For me at least, that takes days if not weeks (sometimes months) to become acquinted with the finer points of some gear. Granted, the point of meets is to get initial impressions and to meet people! I just wanted to get this off my chest as a Caveat Emptor of sorts. Now, onto some impressions...

Perreaux with HD600, DT531 and DT770
- I don't know where the bad rep comes from, but I thought the Perraux was very good, even against Prehead.

DT531 from Bithead, Perreaux and Prehead
- Very liquid, easy to listen to headphone that could be worn and listened to for hours, I can imagine. Not the most revealing and not the last word on bass extensions, but a very good headphone for extended listening and for non-critical listening, imho. No wonder so many like it.

Bithead
- I only listened to this for a while, but I think it was groovy with DT531. Again, I didn't to critical listening except to assess the DAC (very slight clipping/conversion problems only audible at higher playback volumes).

iPod Euro
- I'm known as part of the "iPod - where's the bass" choir and this audition with mint headvibe + dt770 produced almost no bass at all (whereas same combo from ct-570 panasonic had ample bass). I don't know what's wrong with the iPod bass, but imho, it is completely missing.

HD600+Meier vs HD600+Cardas
- I didn't hear huge differences and as such I would no go for the Meier cable, if I were purchasing at this point in time myself. Didn't do a long comparo though.

Ultrasone 650 DVD with many headband plastic bits removed
- What a difference! The comfort on those was much improved due to reduced clamping force. The sonics was imho very much unchanged (the clamping didn't affect that much the sonics). If one could just tone down the aggression on those and then also replace the ear pads properly for more comfortable ones...

ATH-EW9
- What an interesting concept. Not my cup of tea, but I can understand somebody appreciating the ethereal quality of the sound.

DT770
- Just the bass monster that I remembered it to be, with speech region abruptly sucked out. An odd headphone indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Pimeta through Terratec sound card
- This had a bit too much noise for my taste and I'm not too over-sensitive to noise. I don't think the sound card was the limiting factor, although perhaps impedance matching could have improved it?

I will refrain from commenting my gear too much myself. Others have already done that
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally, it was very nice meeting both Plainsong and KJ869. Whilst language was perhaps a slight barrier, I got the impression we got a long great! And the Head-Fi jokes that all of us were throwing around? Don't get me started
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks again to Plainsong for hosting and going through the trouble of organizing the gear into four different listening stations.

I must apologize again for having had to leave so early. I promise the next meet will be bigger and I'll stay for longer.

We'll meet again!

cheers,
halcyon

Jul 22, 2004 at 11:34 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJ869
The DT531 had bass, but it had so litle impact it felt very thin.

Hmmm, that doesnt sound right. I've gotta say out of the Rega Ear theres loads of impact, probably one of the most, if not the most impactful headphones I've owned to date. So much so, I can quite often feel the headphones almost physically moving on my head !!

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #22 of 24
Pbirkett, I would agree with that, and that's even with your old nemisis, the Perreaux. Ah well, if everyone was ment to hear headphones the same way, all headphones would sound like dt531's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Pbirkett, I would agree with that, and that's even with your old nemisis, the Perreaux. Ah well, if everyone was ment to hear headphones the same way, all headphones would sound like dt531's
very_evil_smiley.gif

Agreed they were fine on the Perreaux to my ears too, the Rega Ear does seem to have stronger bass to these ears though. Maybe you could try this fantastic "groovalizer" budget amp one day plainsong
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back