Helpme find a PCDP!
Mar 29, 2007 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
My ipod ran out of space from all the lossless files, so I decided I'll just listen to the CDs. I listen to my music alot while studying so I want something portable with a good lineout. I have a hornet and a pair of E500s hooked up to my ipod, and I plan to retain those for this CD player as well.

I'm kicking myself for selling my Denon DCP-100 as it is such a perfect CD player for me right now. Trouble is that they are so hard to find. Are there any other CD players with similar SQ and build quality?

Mar 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 8
As for a vintage PCDP may I suggest a Sony D-303. The D-303 has a smooth/detailed sound quality and is built quite solid. It isn't as hard to find as the DCP-100, but they are highly sought after. Prices for them can get quite high.

Mar 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm interested in this as well. It seems like all the recommended ones are near impossible to find. Is there anything currently on the market that is at least adequate?

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 8
At least from my perspective, this is becoming almost a crisis situation... and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight. I have been watching eBay and other sources for some time and have actually stashed away a couple of almost perfect D33s (the only things I could find). I really wish we had a modern choice that included a good DAC, line out, and long battery life. With current technology, someone like Sony, Denon, or Marantz could produce a killer PCDP for less than $200 easy. Just think about a "universal" PCDP that would play SACDs! Even if the market was rather small and they had to charge $400, I think there would be takers. Who would have ever thought a decent PCDP would have become all but extinct in 2007???

I understand the value and ultimate convenience of DAPs but damn them for what they have wrought on the PCDP market... or, more importantly, for the low quality sound they have made popular. Even vinyl and the turntables to spin them have made a remarkable comeback of late.

Oh, how I'd like to see just one really high quality PCDP appear!

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm just starting to find the love for pcdp and I picked up a D-345 from a local pawn shop and I have a D-11 on the way from ebay. Even on just my cmoy, it sounds great and the pcdp is quickly becoming my bedside rig of choice.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Amazing! I just did an Ebay search and I'll be damned. You're right. What the hell happened to all the classic Sony PCDPs?! no d-303s, no d-311s, no d-515s. Nada. And I searched the German Ebay too. Pisses me off since I never did get myself a d-303 just because I wanted to get a portable amp first but never did. You shouldn't have sold your Denon I guess
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do remember seeing a d-515 (my personal favorite for its headphone jack) selling for a great price last summer. That's not so long ago. Maybe you just need to be patient.

I assume you are planning to use it as a transportable and not a true portable. I just paid Sony around $125 to repair the ESP and fix the tracking on my 515, and it sounded and worked great when it first came back, better than when I bought it. It was truly incredible. But after doing some fast walking with it attached to a belt clip (one of those cell phone adhesive ones) it is skipping again and/or getting all 'fuzzy' at times. I can see that owning one of these antiques is truly a high maintenance affair. I don't have the money to keep sending it back to Sony every month to keep it tuned. Maybe if I could adjust the tracking myself. I do have the service manual, but no oscilloscope.

In addition, all of my other antique players: the d-311, the d-211, the d-777 (which I never liked anyway), have broken within a few months of walking around with them (no running or anything!) as portables. The only ones that still work perfectly are the ones I never used like the d-e905 (due to my lack of an amp). I don't know what it is. Maybe just their age? As far as SQ goes though, the idea of comparing something like an (unmodded, unamped) IPod to my 515 is a joke. Not even in the same league. How it would compare to a Karma or a Vibez I don't know, or a imodded 4th gen Ipod for that matter.

You may already realize this, but I think my Chaintech AV-710 sound card has better sound (again, unamped) than any of my PCDPs. But even an SFF computer doesn't really qualify for 'transportable'. So yeah, it's a problem. And seeing the lack of players makes me even more determined not to sell any of mine. Maybe you could still buy one from the head-fi marketplace, although it looks like we have been infiltrated by some scammers there. I might be willing to sell some of my collection, but most of them (to varying degrees) have at least some kind of problem.

I wonder if this new shortage of players is due to the following dynamic. MP3 players have become more popular even among die hard audiophile head-fiers. I remember when even Duncan threw in the towel. So there was a lot of selling off of the digital disc players to the even more rabid fanatics who would actually use the things instead of just storing them. After some moderate use the players broke. They didn't seem worth fixing in most cases because you could re-buy one on Ebay for not much more than the repair costs. I hope no one threw any away for that reason. I even keep my broken d-321s just in case.

addendum: In addition to the imodded ipod, you might also consider this. They are extremely pricey, but the Microtrack can also record (and very well!) and both would be true portables instead of just transportables.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ipod ran out of space from all the lossless files, so I decided I'll just listen to the CDs. I listen to my music alot while studying so I want something portable with a good lineout. I have a hornet and a pair of E500s hooked up to my ipod, and I plan to retain those for this CD player as well.

I'm kicking myself for selling my Denon DCP-100 as it is such a perfect CD player for me right now. Trouble is that they are so hard to find. Are there any other CD players with similar SQ and build quality?

I am also a BIG fan of pcdp's, which IMHO have SQ that blows away the Imod/sm3v6 and the HD30GA9, which are the best DAP's I could find. I still use my D-515 or D-303 in a hotel, and a D-33 w a Tomahawk is quite sufficient on the plane.

DRSpeed85, if you pm me, I will tell you about a couple pcdp's I would let go of. I sold my D-321 and D-311 on eBay last month.

600smile.gif

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 8
Er there's a Denon DCP-100 and some high end looking Phillips PCDP in FS right now... should get on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back