Helping out a HD650 in need
Mar 13, 2005 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Venro

Head-Fier
I currently am looking into upgrades for my HD650.

Here are the options i'm looking at:
  1. A Zu Mobius
  2. A new amplifier (I'm on a Headsave Home-vibe right now)
  3. A new soundcard (I'm on a SBLive! right now)

Which upgrade would benefit me the most?

Mar 13, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 15
I'd say a soundcard. For @$100 you can get an Emu 0404, that would bring you to another realm.
An amp isn't really going to help that much unless you get >$400 or so.
Start with the soundcard.

Mar 13, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 15
Just confirming what was previously stated -- Soundcard without a question. Go for the 0404; it's half the price of the 1212 and not necessarily better (a lot of what you're paying for is recording-type functionality).

Mar 13, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 15
what's your budget? using the optical output of the Live! with an external DAC is another option.

Mar 14, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Your answer is simple then: EMU 0404. If you really feel like it, 1212, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Mar 14, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 15
I'd say take your original post, and flip the list of upgrade options and you have your answer in priority order. You had it upside-down
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 15
There was an old computer term: "GIGO" - Garbage In Garbage Out, also pretty true in audio.

OK, perhaps try comparing your soundblaster's output to a line-out of perhaps a CD or DVD player of decent quality. (This can probably be done at a local audio shop if necessary.)
Can you hear any difference?

Also, to better qualify my previous statement, does your SB Live run ASIO 24/96?
If so, you may find only a small improvement in a better soundcard. In that case I might look next at my amp.

*TIP - If you have not yet done so try the Kx Project drivers for SB cards.
They make a noticable improvement.
Kx Project

Mar 14, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 15
Seriously, what was your complaint in the first place - what area do you feel need improvement from your current system ? For example, if you're looking for more forward presentation, it might be difficult to achieve with your senn.

Mar 25, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
I'd say take your original post, and flip the list of upgrade options and you have your answer in priority order. You had it upside-down
tongue.gif

lol that is so true
biggrin.gif

the emu is only 90+ from jdsound with free shipping. it will pwn ur sb so badly that you wouldnt even look back...I'm thinking of getting rid of my extigy...any takers?
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 15
Another supporter of the emu-0404 upgrade. Just remember, with one of these cards an amp will be essential. Even if its just a cmoy, you really ought to have one. How much is a couple hundred dollars? You can get a nice amp for 300-500 dollars that'll make your 650s shine.

Eventually you might want to look into a woodie upgrade from headphile.com and upgrade cable. But that should really be your last steps. It'll refine the sound, not transform it like a new source and amp.

Edit: Just noticed you already have an amp.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back