Helping friend with "gaming" headphones
Feb 11, 2009 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

NDS

Head-Fier
He originally wanted to get Newegg.com - TRITTON TRI-AI712 4 x 3.5mm Circumaural AX 51 - Gaming Headset but then after i told him all headsets were pretty much worthless .

He has a 50 dollar gift card to newegg.com. I was wondering if he's going to spend any of his money would he be better off going for harx-700s since they have a massive soundstage or are any options at newegg that would be worth his consideration besides the hd280s? or hd201s? or should he just save the giftcard for something else and get harx700s? I love the harx700s but have had no experience or knowledge of any other closed can under 100. Help is greatly appreciated.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 22
I'll actually have to agree with you. I bought the JVC's primarily for movies and games. They have a decent soundstage and okay detail (kind of like a mini A900, or A700; however, I haven't heard them). I would say for around fifty bucks that there isn't a whole lot out there that would rival them for twitch gaming.

Of course, if he really wanted to, a I hear 'stats are awesome for FPS.
wink.gif

Nylan

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stats *are* awesome for FPS, but its ridiculous to spend that much

as far as the HARX700, good pick, but I don't think newegg sells them

best bet is probably the HD 280 if you want to go over-ear and don't mind adding some to the pot

Whats more ridiculous, 300 for the stats, or 1,000 for a 37inch LCD? In regards to FPS.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll actually have to agree with you. I bought the JVC's primarily for movies and games. They have a decent soundstage and okay detail (kind of like a mini A900, or A700; however, I haven't heard them). I would say for around fifty bucks that there isn't a whole lot out there that would rival them for twitch gaming.

Of course, if he really wanted to, a I hear 'stats are awesome for FPS.
wink.gif

Nylan

They are, but the uniformed think any headphone over a 100 is a rip off unless it's BOSE. 300 for the STAX portable would get you a deer in the head lights look, followed by a, are you freakin nuts!!! 300.00 for headphone!! Only a idiot or some rich guy would do that.

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

you're, you're kidding right?

and they are also $300, only 6 times the original budget.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

you're, you're kidding right?

Yes -- because I wanted to derail this thread by bringing up something that had nothing to do with the topic; gaming headpho...err, wait a second, the topic is gaming headphones, right??

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats more ridiculous, 300 for the stats, or 1,000 for a 37inch LCD? In regards to FPS.

actually its a 30" LCD @ 2560x1600, and it was more than $1000 US, I assure you, but thats beside the point

with my stats I don't notice much of a real increase in terms of positioning/quality over my K701's or HD 580's for FPS, at least nothing that'd give me any advantage or edge

games simply don't have a good sound mix

NOW
with 2560x1600 over 1680x1050 or similar, that is something I pick up on and appreciate

as far as the point on 5.1 headphones, only two headphones to my knowledge have ever been released branded as "surround sound" that don't sound like complete dimp, one of them is the Sennheiser HD 580 with its Surround Sound package, the other is the Beyer GameZone

CES design award just means the product looked cool, showed well, or something similar, not that its a new giant killer

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

CES design award just means the product looked cool, showed well, or something similar, not that its a new giant killer

Did you even check out the link? I'm not saying the things are "killer" or anything, as I've never listened to them (although a few reviews I've read spoke of them quite favorably), but if you took a second to see exactly what they are, you'd have noticed they were given an award because nothing like them has ever been made -- not just because they look cool.

I'm a huge skeptic about things like this, and what I've read about them (from other skeptics who've tried them) certainly caught my attention. If these were anything like the dozens of other lame ass, so called, "5.1 headphones", I wouldn't have wasted my friggin' time suggesting them here. And if I was only a gamer, I'd actually be interested in auditioning them.

Anyways, they do cost $300, so that's probably way over your friends budget -- but my point was simply to share something interesting and new.

Some guy describes the headphones in a video on the first page of the link, in case you don't feel like reading the entire review. From what is described, I can imagine they'd perform 5.1 probably better than any other stereo headphone (gasp, even stats) since, well... see what he says.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 22
notice how I didn't just say, looked cool, I said "showed well or something similar", which includes "unique product", in other words the award (like I said...) was not for quality, it was for unique-ness or some other tradeshow fluff

I'm not doubting a lot of time and money went into making them, but I'm very much doubting that they're good quality, not to mention they probably won't see stores for a while, and any credible review will take some time after that (just because the PC press likes them doesn't mean they sound good, remember this is the same press that lauds Logitech as the de factor standard of audio quality)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back