Helping a Newcomer to IEM`s
Feb 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xXxJeremy71xXx

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone I`m kind of new to Head-Fi and I am looking for some advice. I think a pair of IEMs would be good since I already have a  closed headphone (SRH-440). I`m looking for some IEMs at around $100. There seem to be so many different ones I don`t know what to look for.

These are my requirements/wants:
-Comfortable
-Good Isolation
-I listen to mostly to acoustic music.
-It would be nice if I could go to sleep with them but it would just be a bonus.
-Good quality cable.

Lastly I would just like to ask a question. I want to know if IEMs will seem uncomfortable the first couple of days since I have never tried IEMs?

Thanks

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 14
Sounds like you need SoundMagic E30's.

- 'Comfortable'
8/10 E30's are very light, I can barely feel them on my ears.

- 'Good Isolation'
8/10 Isolation is great, not too deep but still excellent, especially using the double flange tips that come with the E30

- 'I listen to mostly to acoustic music'
10/10 I have been using them for a while and acoustic and live music sounds amazing with them, especially the vocal.

- 'It would be nice if I could go to sleep with them but it would just be a bonus.'
8/10 I have used them while sleeping a couple of times, they fit snuggly in my ears and I can barely feel them, they dont stick out too much, however everyone has different shaped ears.

- 'Good quality cable'
8/10 The cable feels very nice, not cheap sticky plastic, more soft rubber. 

Yes the IEM's do feel a little weird at first but once your use to them, I won't say uncomfortable, just different, I think you will really warm to them after a week or so 

The E30's or the Shure SE215's IMO. But the Shure's do have a bigger body.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 14
Klipsch Image X10. They are unbelievably comfortable. If comfort is your priority, these are the ones.
Some say they fell cheap. It's because they are so small and light. They sound much better than their weight implies.

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Sounds like you need SoundMagic E30's.

- 'Comfortable'
8/10 E30's are very light, I can barely feel them on my ears.

- 'Good Isolation'
8/10 Isolation is great, not too deep but still excellent, especially using the double flange tips that come with the E30

- 'I listen to mostly to acoustic music'
10/10 I have been using them for a while and acoustic and live music sounds amazing with them, especially the vocal.

- 'It would be nice if I could go to sleep with them but it would just be a bonus.'
8/10 I have used them while sleeping a couple of times, they fit snuggly in my ears and I can barely feel them, they dont stick out too much, however everyone has different shaped ears.

- 'Good quality cable'
8/10 The cable feels very nice, not cheap sticky plastic, more soft rubber. 

Yes the IEM's do feel a little weird at first but once your use to them, I won't say uncomfortable, just different, I think you will really warm to them after a week or so 

The E30's or the Shure SE215's IMO. But the Shure's do have a bigger body.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking at the E30, it seems good but I can't find it in Canada. So right now I'm going to look at the SE215. I don't mind the bigger body. I will look at other suggestions though as well. Does anyone have any experience with the Thinksound MS01?

Thanks

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Klipsch Image X10. They are unbelievably comfortable. If comfort is your priority, these are the ones.
Some say they fell cheap. It's because they are so small and light. They sound much better than their weight implies.

When I look at their website, they say that the X10s are no longer available. They also seem to be kind of weird to fit in your ears. Thanks for the reply though.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 14
I had the A-Jays 3 and they were pretty uncomfortable. I had tried all the tips apart from complys and they hurt my ears so much after 10 minutes that I had to remove them. Plus, one ear stopped functioning within 3 months, so I had to send them back. Luckily, I called Amazon and they refunded me even thou I was out of the return period.

Have heard good things about the q-jays, but never got the courage to tinker with another pair of Jays after.

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I had the A-Jays 3 and they were pretty uncomfortable. I had tried all the tips apart from complys and they hurt my ears so much after 10 minutes that I had to remove them. Plus, one ear stopped functioning within 3 months, so I had to send them back. Luckily, I called Amazon and they refunded me even thou I was out of the return period.

Have heard good things about the q-jays, but never got the courage to tinker with another pair of Jays after.

Thanks for sharing! It looks then like I'm going to go for the SE215 unless someone else has any other suggestions?

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 14
The Shures 215 are pretty good for the price. I believe they are dynamics, which implies that once you have used them/burned them in for a certain period of time, the sound gets a lot better. The out-of-the-box sound may not sound as great, but they certainly open up after some use. The cable is very durable, perhaps a little stiff, but still great. From what I remember, the treble isn't the best, but is still okay. The midrange was good, and the bottom end was satisfying. Good value for <$100 earphones.

EDIT: Regarding comfort, these are pretty comfortable, specially with the Shure olives.

Also, if you're looking at the Klipsch x10, they were on sale for ~$100 at black friday. You may be able to find a new pair from that sale for a little more than the sale price on Amazon/ebay.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Etymotic HF5. I recommend them to people all the time and they never walk away dissappointed. Best IEM for $100 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back