Helpful bit of advice for people new to hi-fi equipment
May 24, 2006 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dhp

(formerly known as DieInAFire)
Always buy used. I cannot stress this concept enough. If you take a shot in the dark, and miss, you're going to resell, so minimize your losses and just resell, ocassionally pocketing the 10 dollar profit on one sale and losing 10 dollars in another sale. That way, you'll be about even when you reach your holy grail of headphones. This is true for any bit of equipment in my opinion, even CDs
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 17
...or, buy new at the cheapest possible price. Shop wisely.

At the introductory price, the K701 went for only $280 - a price so good that one could consider reselling on Head-Fi without risk of losing your money. (As it is, however, I'm keeping them.) I'm currently getting some long-delayed new Grado SR225s for $170 - about the price of used headphones.

Buying used is a wise idea, even if you aren't new to stereo. But buying new is about as good if you keep your eyes open.

May 24, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 17
Deals on wheels is the way to go. There is a saying: "Buy the seller not the product." I think thats what is. Meaning, you should trust the seller most of all and not be blinded by the product and throw your money around. Good luck to everyone, shop wisely.
-kushman the bargain hunter
evil_smiley.gif

May 24, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 17
I buy more used than new, but, thinkign about it, a lot of the stuff i bought used wasnt availible new.

Besides, most hi-fi gear keeps its value very well indeed.

May 24, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 17
I tend to agree with buying things new for the lowest possible price if you can.

May 24, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 17
Me too. I prefer buying new as opposed to used. Unless the used item is in great condition and asking price is reasonable.
Speaking of deals ... how much do new HD595s go for (street price) in USD? Thx for the info.
-kushman

May 24, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 17
I got my 595's new off ebay for like 178 bucks shipped. Ive heard of people getting them even cheaper.

May 24, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 17
I buy a pretty good portion of my stuff used. If you go to a reputable dealer, it's the same stuff as what they sell new, but it's cheaper and probably not as shiny.

May 24, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
Always buy used. I cannot stress this concept enough. If you take a shot in the dark, and miss, you're going to resell, so minimize your losses and just resell, ocassionally pocketing the 10 dollar profit on one sale and losing 10 dollars in another sale. That way, you'll be about even when you reach your holy grail of headphones. This is true for any bit of equipment in my opinion, even CDs
smily_headphones1.gif

This is especially true when dealing with upfront, helpful, honest and moral people in this forum. I've had occasion to deal with several members and have had some great dealings and not one bad one. You guys know who you are!

May 24, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 17
Another nice bonus of used stuff is: no burn in process. Burn in can be such a hassle when you first get a brand new item.

May 24, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm clearly in the minority here - I prefer to buy equipment new. I'd much rather support a quality e-commerce vendor than an individual who I don't know. No offense to you guys of course.
wink.gif
But I feel better when my money's going to a company like HeadRoom or another reputable vendor I can deal with should something go wrong with the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back