Help!
Jun 15, 2004 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

geek42

Head-Fier
Howdy all,

I found this site a few months ago, and have been addicted ever since (y'all should add 'sorry about your productivity' to the stock 'sorry about your wallet' greeting). The first headphones I bought were Koss PortaPro's, for, appropriately enough, portable use. I've been ectstatic with them - they have a nice sound to me, esp with the bass equalized down a little bit. The sound is not all that 'precise,' but for bouncin around town, it really doesn't matter

My next step was a set of Grado SR-60's, for home use. I was very dissapointed in these phones - they just didn't engage me.

I traded them for a set of Ultrasone HFI-600's, which I currently have. I don't dislike these headphones, but I can't say I love them. For one, they seem a little shy on bass, particularly the lower mids. Additionally, and this is the killer for me, they don't have the 'pin-drop' clarity I've been seeking ever since I got into headphones. I feel like I get more precision out of my bookshelf speakers, which are admittedly decent speakers.

I'm a poor college student, and I live in the middle of nowhere and have a shedule from hell, so I can't go out and listen to a million different headphones, although I'd like to . My question is this: in your personal experience, at what point did you find headphones that really impressed you. My speakers just plain put a smile on my face when I'm listening to good music on them. I'm seeking that same experience from headphones, but I don't know if I should give up the quest as beyond my means for a while, or there's still hope for me.

I'm not asking so much about specific characteristics of headphones - there's a lot of really good information in that direction here. I'm more interested in what it is about the ones you love that really do it for you, and at what price level you found those characteristics. This would be more of a conversational thread than a technical one. Sometimes I feel like the passion of headphones and music can get lost in the deep analysis of a set of headphones.

If y'all don't find this interesting, feel free to move on and let the thread sink to the oblivion it deserves
smily_headphones1.gif

My wallet's already crying - maybe i should just head for the hills
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 2
i find the listening to headphones more analytic then speakers.. the physical side of them (clamped on the head, no sound passing through the body) just takes away something that is so natural in speakers. i'm not talking about the sound itself, i'm talking about the way. speakers are still the best way to listen to music, IMO. some people really like the intimacy of headphones and it's enough for them, but for me, an air/distance dependant relationship of a recreated soundstage in front of me has some very high percetive challange.
that's the reason that i won't put too much money into headphones from now on (except sources maybe, which are good for speakers too); headphones are just cool toys.. while speakers are super cool toys..

since you seem to like to avoid the analytical side, i'd say this:

1.ear monitors are an interesting experience because of the way they throw the sound - from the center of your head; as if it is the origin sometimes. for me, ear monitors present the "ideal" physical way for heaphones that just makes headphones unique.
personally, i didn't find the ones i've had to be extremely good, to my taste- but this is not the discussion.
2.Sony CD3000 - these headphones takes the sound away from your head and they are really fun to listen to. picking up details from the far front in a big soundstage is the easiest way to pick them up (more like in real life) and it's fun too. the physical problem of full size headphones is quite minor with them.. and this allows lots of listening. at the end, whether you're anaudiophile or not, this is what counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back