HELP!
Aug 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

faisal2003456

100+ Head-Fier

Well this is my first post here 
smile.gif
. I've been reading alot on this site and learnt quite a bit, but I also got kinda confused. I've decided I wanna finally have a good quality music experience.

For the player I'm thinking of the Cowon iAudio9 or the J3. The benefit of the J3 is the larger user memory. Would an iPod with a LOD be a better choice? Any other players I should think of? The only thing putting me off from the iPod is the lack of FLAC support. Although, I have read that it supports Apple Lossless files. Does anyone know how to create Apple Lossless files?

For the headphones I'm picking between Sennheiser HD448, Shure SRH440, or Grado S80i, since they all have a 100 dollars price point. Would it be a HUGE difference I were to spend more money for Denon AH-D1001S or ATH-M50s? I don't care about closed, open, full size, or anything else except sheer audio quality. Any other suggestions in the headphone department? What are the advantages of IEMs, other than portability?

Now for the headphone amp. I know that this also relies on what the player is and what the headphones are. I was thinking about a FiiO E5. The E5 seems good cause it's small and the E3 was well received. Anyone else have any good suggestions for 100 dollar and bellow amps? I saw the E7, but that thing is HUGE! Although, it does double as a DAC. That brings me to my next question. What exactly does a DAC do. Does it just turn audio (digital) from a USB into something headphones can use (analog). Should I care about a DAC? This is more for a portable set-up than home use.

Basically, I just want a good headphone, source, and amp.

Thanks for any incoming replies, sorry if I'm a bit of a noob.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 3
As for player I wouldn't recommend the i9 rather the J3, or if you want to save some money a Clip+.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Whatever you buy .......just dont go for Fiio e5. It made every player i had , sound worse. It can only be good for poor sounding laptops & cell phones.

For a very good setup go for clip+ & SR80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back