HELP! Zhaolu=Distortion!
Jun 7, 2006 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

B-side J

100+ Head-Fier
I was just listening to Gorillaz through my speakers while I was cleaning up and I noticed that is sounded kind of harsh in the highs so i turned it up to investigate and it got WAY worse..duh. So I messed around abit and tried a few things. I tried the pre-amp output from the DAC and it was brutal. The distortion was hardly noticable with the knob at 9 but by 12 it was terrible. Then I tried running my opical directly to my reciever and it was crystal clear.
confused.gif
confused.gif
Everythign is stellar out of the HPO on the DAC but I really scared that it's going to sound like dung once I get my RP33.

Has anyone eles had this problem? Could it just be because it needs time to burn in?

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 17
Ok I just tried coax out of my computer and it helps but is still distorting..
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Can you tell us whom you bought it from and if it happens to be
Eddie, what configuration did you get? When you say everything
is steller out of the HPO, do you mean from the front jack with a
headphone or using the HPO in the rear of the DAC?

It is a little harsh and congested before burn-in.

In the end, it is probably best to contact Eddie about this.

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 17
It's not from Eddy, AFAIK. I bought it from chesebert, because he pick up an extra while he was in China. It sounds great out the of the front headamp.
It's not a little harsh, I would expect that, it's really bad. It's the CS4398, OPA2604 config.

So am I the only one having this problem?

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
What's your S/PDIF source? Are you using sound card or CDP?

I'm using both. I'm using an Xbox until I get my E5 and I'm using the coax digital out from my PC.
After the E5 arrives I'm pretty sure the DAC will stay dedicated to the computer.

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 17
Zhaolu D1.3 is pretty smooth to my ears.
The headphone amp is too smoothed out and compromises low-level details.
You are probably experiencing a quality control issue.

Jun 8, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 17
Ok I have some funny news.. I was re-arranging my livingroom to put my other system that I use for Djing close to the computer and I DROPPED MY DAC!!!
mad.gif
...So I got everything set up and hooked up the DAC...and it sounds better than befor! Not because I dropped it I'm sure, but it must have been the other receiver's analog inputs...So it's all good!
3000smile.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 17
I think I told you to change the receiver...and I am glad your dac survived the fall
biggrin.gif
I am sure United ground crew did their fair share of tossing when I came home.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 17
Those are dangerous words, B-side. Before you know it, the "drop on floor" mod will become all the rage.

"If you want a warm, smooth sound I would drop it on a long fiber carpet. For greater extension on both extremes and a slightly emphasized treble, drop it on linoleum tile. I wouldn't drop it on sand though, it supposedly makes the treble somewhat grainy."

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Disiskurt
Those are dangerous words, B-side. Before you know it, the "drop on floor" mod will become all the rage.

"If you want a warm, smooth sound I would drop it on a long fiber carpet. For greater extension on both extremes and a slightly emphasized treble, drop it on linoleum tile. I wouldn't drop it on sand though, it supposedly makes the treble somewhat grainy."

LMAO
very_evil_smiley.gif

MOTM (mod of the moment) == drop mod
k1000smile.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

That just made my day (or night
biggrin.gif
).

Jun 8, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

LOL
3000smile.gif
Well if you want to smooth out the highs, you need to drop it from a standard desk on medium-pile carpet, but IT HAS TO LAND ON THE TOP LEFT CORNER OF THE FACE! LOL

Good luck with your Drop-Mods!

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 17
BFG = Big Farkin Hammer Modification! Although, do be advised this as with other modification, voids any implied warrantee!
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
That just made my day (or night
biggrin.gif
).

I totally agree. How does it reactive if you drop it in water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back