HELP!!! WS99/MDR-1R/Crossfade LP (Im a newb!)
Jun 11, 2013 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Ncapolupo

New Head-Fier
ok, im one of them folks who has spent many hours and dollars fiddlefarting with my home audio system. Then i realized, i walk about 25 miles a week, while listening to my ipod.. So its time to ditch my $15 sony earbuds for some real sound.. Ive read and read and read like i always do before making a blind internet purchase, and now ive read myself into an indecisive hole!  Seems like i was curious about the Denon 1100's or whatever, until i heard they break easily.

I like LOUD LOUD LOUD, and some really solid bass. of course i want overall sounds quality. Im thinking i wanted to try closed ear as i usualy use these cheap earbuds..

I dont have alot of time to elaborate, but which of the above mentioned cans do i need? Keep me at $300 or less if you can. and do i need an amp??? THANKS FOR THE HELP!@!

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 33
Man your just asking for the ws99! Ive heard the lp and it doesn't touch either. The 1r I'd good, but not as good as the ws99, which has veeeery solid bass, nice mids.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 33
i just recently read that those have 53mm drivers, and you wont fully enjoy the loudness and deep bass without an amp.. is this true? I mean, i am one of those people that listens on full volume on my ipod touch, and with these earbuds, its not even as loud as i like.. these are only 250 for the cans, should i spend 50 on an amp? will that pheonix fire thingy do the trick? or what should i get? Ill be dissappointed if  it isnt really loud for me when i spend this much on something i normally spend only $20 on.

thanks for the advice man.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 33
They don't need an amp. Driver size has nothing to do with it. My ma900 has 70mm drivers and its very easy to drive. They will definitely be loud enough, as I only listen to them at around 30%. Amping helps them though. You can get the fiio e11.

I'm waiting for the fiio x3 to be released.

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 33
I think the M100 is the best bass head headphones on the market. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gd49nLqZY

Jun 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 33
let me ask this.. which one gets the loudest volume with an ipod touch with, and without an amp?as apperently all of them should have pretty nice sound quality. Im leaning toward the Ws99, but i havent looked too much into the m100..  there are soooo manyu damn options, it sux having to make a decision blindly, but i eventually will. Just hoping to nail it.

to put in perspective, back 15 years ago, whatever headphones i used (usually some on ear, but not over ear ones), i would pull the pad right off, just to get some extra volume.

i dont want you to think i just want some loud crappy sounding nonsense, but i definitely want them to be able to hit what im guessing most of you would consider "unsafe" listening levels on my ipod. I walk down busy streets and stuff with them, and i like to be totally cut off from the outside world. I like to be totally immensed in my music. (seriously, i look like an autistic zombie strolling down the road in my own little world, and i love it. Im very ADD, and thats the one time when my mind is at total peace).

will that Fiio thingy along with the ws99 get me where i want to be? is that fiio thingy even needed? I guess i can buy the cans one week, and see if i need the amp with another paycheck.. i just cant stress enough that i want to make a decision i dont regret. Im not a big baller, so this is quite an investment for me.. especially after how much i have poured into my home audio over the last year =\

If it matters, i listen to all spectrums of the music world.. rap/rock/pop/techno/dubstep/classic rock/ r&B/ i mean you name it, and its in my itunes..from kenny rogers to tupac to the richeous bros to five finger deathpunch to shakira (dont judge me!)

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 33
Yes yes no.

What's ur preffered sound signature? Bright, recessed mids? I don't have the m100 but I'm 100% sure they're bass heavy. The WS99 is also bass heavy but it's not sloppy bass, it's solid bass. You also don't miss out on the mids with these.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 33
Don't listen to your music too loud! Not only will it damage your ears but it'll permenantly give you a loud ringing sound that you'll have to live with for the rest of your life. I like WS99 also because it doesn't have too much isolation. I can safely walk the streets with it.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 33
The M100 is a great headphone. Yes it has big bass but it's not sloppy. Good for outdoors or other noisy environments. If you're listening in quieter environments and/or prefer less bass quantity, the ws99 might be a better choice.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 33
well i will be walking outside on busy streets with it. i cant help it, ive listened to loud music for many many many years now. if i lose my hearing a bit, ill deal with it. as of right now, i need something loud, or it just doesnt do it for me.. and im not sure exactly what your "yes yes no" pertained to exactly.. sorry, lol. feel free to break it down for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back