Help- Wrk cans needed-- no amp, no absurd leakage
Feb 27, 2005 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

isotope240

Head-Fier
Hi. What the title says-- I'm looking for sub $100 headphones to plug straight into a computer headphone jack that will sound as good as possible for the money I am willing to invest.
confused.gif

I am a little concerned with leakage, but it's not a huge deal. I do listen to some rock, but I generally don't listen with the volume way up.

I don't mind incoming leaks; I'm just trying not to piss off my friends at work who will be maybe 8 feet away and on the other side of some shelves and lab equipment. It's a fairly quiet environment and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thinking about SR60 but I've read they leak "a LOT." Also thinking about the HD280. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

To give you some idea of the type of sound I like, I am perfectly happy with an old pair of DT931 cans and a Corda HA-1 when I am at home.

Thanks again

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 11
I use Radio Shack Pro35s, a clone of the Koss KTX Pro. It's a good match for soundcards since they have a bassy sound and souncards tend to be weak on bass. I think it's sufficient unless you need isolation or want something full sized.

If you're looking for something full sized that doesn't leak and is under $100 it's a little tricky. The HD280 is good but is weak on bass and probably wouldn't be a good match directly out of a soundcard. AKG K240S might be good although they can be picky about equipment and hard to drive.

If you like the HD280 this Turtle Beach USB audio adapter matches really well with them. It adds the bass and soundstage that they would otherwise be lacking. I don't know if you want to spend an extra $30 over the cost of the headphones though.

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 11
if you're willing to shell out a few extra bucks, i think you'll be happy with the A500. if not, the HD280 should be fine but would benefit more with the use of some sort of amp.

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for all the responses, I'm about to start looking into all the suggestions I've been offered so far.

Just a note-- I am willing to bend my budget a little, but I am definitely not willing to buy any form of amplification to power whatever headphones I buy, and I do not want to buy a soundcard because I plan on using these on more than one computer (not to mention that I can't really be modding the lab computers
wink.gif
)

Keep the replies coming please, this is great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 11
I love my HD280s, especially with a cmoy in the circuit. But it works fine out of my laptop. Drawback is to much isolation. Even at very low volume levels, if you can't see their lips, you can't hear them talk.

Feb 28, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamsterball_Z
... If you like the HD280 this Turtle Beach USB audio adapter matches really well with them. It adds the bass and soundstage that they would otherwise be lacking. I don't know if you want to spend an extra $30 over the cost of the headphones though.

Does the Turtle Beach adapter therefore amp the 280s? I was under initial impression that they would provide more surround sound for gaming and maybe classical music. Anyone have experience on the realism of this adapter? Thanks -g

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by isotope240
Will the A500 provide an extreme amount of isolation? Will it be crappy sounding without amplification?

If you look around, you'll see that one of the big selling points of the AT cans is that they sound great unamped. (And no, they do not provide extreme amounts of isolation.)

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 11
K240S... great sub-$90 can IMHO.
KSC75 (add a Cmoy for $65 and they sound huge). IMHO doesnt leak that much unless you listen to it excessively loud. Does your office have cubicle wall partitions? I use mine all the time and it doesnt annoy my co workers.

DT250-80 (possibly used)

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back