Help Would Be Great! What to Do? A Pair of 16 Year Old Sennheiser HD580 Precision
Feb 3, 2017 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Share2Care

100+ Head-Fier
Good Day Ladies & Gents,

Do hope all is wel with y

For my 16th Birthday, I chose as my only present for that year a pair of HD580 Senns that the local high end audio shjop had me hooked on them like crack!

Fast forward 16 years. They are in an immaculate condition. No original packaging, but boxed. Never worn outside,, always insid33333e only. A few years ago I replaced using Sennheiser original parts the foam headrest / head band, ear pads and upgraded the HD580 cable to the HD600 cable. I still have the original HD580 cable. I am lucky in that I have zero connection issues with plugging them to each cup as I know the connection can go faulty.

The sound that comes out the HD580 and infiltrates you mind, body and soul is regularly feels immense, orgasmic and sublime. It may be the long burn in time maybe lol?!. I think that sums it up well :)

Sorry for the long post, but what I am trying to get your truly appreciated advice on is how much would they be worth based on the excellent condition and what I have described. Wold if make sense for me to sell them or keep them forever?

I am just starting on my High Fidelity quest! Just stuck getting onto the first ladder. Looking at a Schiit Jotunheim AMP with the balanced DAC Board Installed.  and some planar magnetic headphones.

When I sell the HD580, I would be very lucky to ever own a pair again. So am split.

Thank you so much for your time and anyone selling a Jotunheim, PM me! I would pay in GBP :)

Last question as have hesitated for years; How close is the HD580 to the HD600 and if close, should I go for HD650'?

Cheers

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Where I live the HD 580 isnt worth much. Id keep em until they die. If you like the 580, you probably gonna like the 650s, too. Im still undecided which of the two I like more. The 580s defintely get more head time.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 7

Sorry for the long post, but what I am trying to get your truly appreciated advice on is how much would they be worth based on the excellent condition and what I have described. Wold if make sense for me to sell them or keep them forever?

I am just starting on my High Fidelity quest! Just stuck getting onto the first ladder. Looking at a Schiit Jotunheim AMP with the balanced DAC Board Installed.  and some planar magnetic headphones.

When I sell the HD580, I would be very lucky to ever own a pair again. So am split.

Thank you so much for your time and anyone selling a Jotunheim, PM me! I would pay in GBP :)

Last question as have hesitated for years; How close is the HD580 to the HD600 and if close, should I go for HD650'?

I'd much rather keep them. Slap on HD600 grills on them so the sound opens up. If the drivers fail years from now you can just buy HD6x0 drivers and they'll pop right in there anyway. And you don't need to deal with the marble blue HD600 finish (it's flaking on mine and it's taking a loooooong time to really get ragged enough to motivate me to repaint it black).

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 7
I'd much rather keep them. Slap on HD600 grills on them so the sound opens up. If the drivers fail years from now you can just buy HD6x0 drivers and they'll pop right in there anyway. And you don't need to deal with the marble blue HD600 finish (it's flaking on mine and it's taking a loooooong time to really get ragged enough to motivate me to repaint it black).

Thanks to you and others advice. I have read in many places about getting the grilles from the HD600. Believe there is a video on you tube to take you through it?

Other than it makes the cans immensely better looking, is there any improvement in sound?

Suggestions all welcome as to where to get the grilles? Based in the UK.

As ever, thanks to all and look forward to where I can source them from!

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks to you and others advice. I have read in many places about getting the grilles from the HD600. Believe there is a video on you tube to take you through it?

There are several Sennheiser disassembly and some modding vids on YouTube.

Other than it makes the cans immensely better looking, is there any improvement in sound?

Supposedly the grills open up the midrange and treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back