Help with Zen Micro and E2c Custom EQ
Nov 1, 2005 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DoNotBugMe

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys, I'm new to custom EQ and stuff like that. I've read that the E2c really dont deliver bass up to par with other expensive headphones, but hey, I'm one of those people who find the bad parts of a item after I buy it. I've been quite satisfied with my E2cs (which recently broke and are in the service center atm: muffled sound in left ear) and my Zen Micro (which broke two times and I'm up to a third one: head phone jack). Judging by this one may think that I take bad care of my equipment but I really don't know why they break considering I never drop it nor do other things can can damage it.

On topic, I've been wondering if any of you could guide me or link a guide on customizing the EQ so I can get some decent bass perhaps or any other optimization. All help is appreciated

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 11
I recommend you try that out and trust your ears, too much placebo involved if you start taking someone elses advice in something so subjective...

Nov 1, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 11
I guess so.. But I really don't know the first thing about customizing EQ. Any suggestions on that?

Nov 1, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
I guess so.. But I really don't know the first thing about customizing EQ. Any suggestions on that?

When you use the preset EQs on the Micro (like "Rock" or "Classical" or something) are you able to see the shape of the curve that they use? This should give you an idea of how to tweak your own sound. Lower frequencies give more bass, midrange will affect presentation of sound, and highs will give you a sense of more detail.

I'll echo trusting your own ears. If it sounds great to you, leave it as it is. Nothing wrong with playing around with EQ though. Tweak a little at a time and give it a shot.

Nov 2, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 11
I personally found the zen micro to be a bad match with the shures. No matter how much i eq'd the sucker, the shures still sounded rather bland and hopeless.

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
I personally found the zen micro to be a bad match with the shures. No matter how much i eq'd the sucker, the shures still sounded rather bland and hopeless.

Really? To me they sound alright but my friend's $40 buck sonys delivered more bass. Unfortunately, I forgot the name. Otherwise, the Shures work nicely, at least I think since I haven't tryed any other expensive headphones.

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Really? To me they sound alright but my friend's $40 buck sonys delivered more bass. Unfortunately, I forgot the name. Otherwise, the Shures work nicely, at least I think since I haven't tryed any other expensive headphones.

If powerful bass was all you wanted, go straight for a headphone upgrade. Sony MDR-EX51LP and MDR-EX71SL are right up your alley for that boomin bass. Your friend probably has the 71s?

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Try them with different sources, i figured the same as you, "they sound alright." Once i got a rio karma, all hell broke loose...same as the njb3. Both daps power the shures correctly. I think its just a matter of synergy.

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Try them with different sources, i figured the same as you, "they sound alright." Once i got a rio karma, all hell broke loose...same as the njb3. Both daps power the shures correctly. I think its just a matter of synergy.

Thats unfortunate for me, at home I've got no other sources then a computer. Maybe at school? I'll reply when I test it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back