help with Xin amps
May 18, 2006 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
Ok, so I want a portable amp somewhere in the size neighbourhood of the RSA Hornet (I already own the SR-71; portable, but not in your jacket pocket portable). However, I want a sound that is not flat, but rather a nice dual mono sound (like the SR-71); i.e. decent layering and soundstage - reasonably high resolution. I will be using low impedance cans/IEMs (SR-71 really kicks ass when it comes to imaging/resolution and the E4's). Will Xin's supermini IV fit the bill of what I'm looking for? What other amps should I be considering?

Thanks in advance....

May 18, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
The Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed is definitely worthy of consideration with those criteria.

It's that small?

May 18, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 13
It's approximately credit card-sized in length and width, and little less than an inch tall.

I haven't heard the SuperMini-IV but it's the same case as the SuperMini-3 which I do have, it's the second smallest amp there is (next to Xin's own SuperMicro-IV). The current op-amp is the AD8397, which is also in mine, and gives very well-defined sound, but separation could be better, and I'd have to say it doesn't add much of a soundstage effect either.

May 18, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 13
My Supermacro III Version 6 is very open and detailed. I am using the AD8397 and Dr. Xin recomends the 8620 if you want a bit more detail and punch.

The Supermacro IV is supposed to be significantly better and ads more soundstage. However unless you listen to it is very hard to see if its sound is for you. Good luck.

May 19, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
My Supermacro III Version 6 is very open and detailed. I am using the AD8397 and Dr. Xin recomends the 8620 if you want a bit more detail and punch.

The Supermacro IV is supposed to be significantly better and ad soundstage. However unless you listen to it is very hard to see if its sound is for you. Good luck.

Thanks Miguel. Hey, I don't suppose you could compare and contrast the SMV6 and the SR-71 for me could you? After all, it's b/c of you that I ended up buying the SR-71 (no kidding!)...now, it's the only amp I have left!(it's that good to these ears)

May 19, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Thanks Miguel. Hey, I don't suppose you could compare and contrast the SMV6 and the SR-71 for me could you? After all, it's b/c of you that I ended up buying the SR-71 (no kidding!)...now, it's the only amp I have left!(it's that good to these ears)

The SR71 is a fantastic amp! I loved what it did for separation and detail. Unfortunetly I do not currently own an SR71.

May 19, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
It's approximately credit card-sized in length and width, and little less than an inch tall.

I haven't heard the SuperMini-IV but it's the same case as the SuperMini-3 which I do have, it's the second smallest amp there is (next to Xin's own SuperMicro-IV). The current op-amp is the AD8397, which is also in mine, and gives very well-defined sound, but separation could be better, and I'd have to say it doesn't add much of a soundstage effect either.

I'd recommend AD822- it gives things a nice presentation, less in your face than AD8397, easy to locate everything, and very high amount of detail. The downside is it does lack the bass impact of some other opamps.

May 20, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Aside from a solid design, a fairly notable percentage of the soundstage separation seems to be down to the pots in use in a regular stereo amp. The SM shows a not stellar channel matching, and despite the fact that I do like the Supermini a lot for it's practicality, expanded staging is not it's forte. To find what you're looking for, I think you should probably be looking at an amp that is a little bigger to accomodate a better pot. And by that token, it's probably tough to find an amp that offers real improvements in that regard under 25mm thick.

May 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Aside from a solid design, a fairly notable percentage of the soundstage separation seems to be down to the pots in use in a regular stereo amp. The SM shows a not stellar channel matching, and despite the fact that I do like the Supermini a lot for it's practicality, expanded staging is not it's forte. To find what you're looking for, I think you should probably be looking at an amp that is a little bigger to accomodate a better pot. And by that token, it's probably tough to find an amp that offers real improvements in that regard under 25mm thick.

So am I to take it from these threads that as far as the sound that I'm looking for, I won't find something smaller/lighter than the SR-71?

Thanks for all the great responses BTW.

May 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman

So am I to take it from these threads that as far as the sound that I'm looking for, I won't find something smaller/lighter than the SR-71?

Thanks for all the great responses BTW.

May 20, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by w&q
what about the hornet? what was the think you disliked or considered not satisfying? it is a great sounding amp and portable also.

The hornet is very flat sounding. no imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back