help with WinXP IE
Dec 17, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Hajime
NWiz is a program by NVidia that allows you to use multiple monitors with one computer.

BCMSMMSG is your dialup modem working.

Qttask is QuickTime putting it's little 'Q' in your system tray (the place down to the right of Start where you can click on symbols).

Mmtask is Windows' "Multimedia Support" program. It allows you to view multiple movies, graphics, etc.

CcApp is a Norton Antivirus thing. I'm not very familiar with it. Supposedly it helps Norton with the active scanning and email checking of your computer.

ZingSpooler I've never heard of. I got curious and found some info on it at this website:
"Was used for a drag and drop program to upload pictures to www.zing.com but Zing has gone out of business. Now used for Sony ImageStation's upload photos to online albums"

580smile.gif

Thank you very much Hajime. Yes I do use Sony Imagestation. I am puzzled why my dial up modem is running. I have never used dial up with this computer.
I guess I can turn that off.

Dec 17, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #17 of 19
There are two different types of messenger included with XP, both equally useless.

#1, the more annoying of the two is the Windows Messenger Service. This can be used to popup advertisements or used/abused to send network-wide messeges using the command prompt (example: announcing server maintanance).

To stop:

run msconfig
Go to the services tab
uncheck "Messenger"
apply changes and reboot

#2 is the instant messege client. I remember having a heck of a time getting this to go away. Somehow it is integrated into Outlook as well, so you have to disable it in Outloook before you can disable it in Windows.

Dec 17, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #18 of 19
MSN messenger
I keep turning it off and it comes right back on.
confused.gif

That site that Hajime linked to was very hepful. There is a description of how to shut off MSN messenger. Only thing is I can't do that since the program has been uninstalled and I don't have it to set prefrences on.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 19
do yourself a favor man. msconfig = pain in the arse

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

much easier to select what you want to start-up upon boot up

note: even if you uncheck messenger, it still loads on startup. so annoying. i always get that little icon in my systray and i tried many apps to get rid of it.

as of now, i only have 3 apps loading on start-up which are norton, USDM (for Epox mobo's), and stupid messenger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back