Help with which DAP - SQ paramount
Mar 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CandC

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I am trying to find a new DAP for my wife.

I currently have a HifiMan HM801 and use it with Ultrasone Signature Pro headphones (as I don't get on with IEMs and needed closed back/sound insulation for use commuting on the tube).
Original plan had been for her to get an HM801 as well, but they are obviously discontinued.
She's most interested in sound quality, and will put up with a clunky user interface if necessary.
She has a set of Custom IEMs - JH Audio JH 16 Pros.
She wants a one box solution - not interested in carrying around additional amps etc..
DAP needs to be currently available (so not HifiMan 901)
All our music is ripped from CD as FLAC (which discounts the Tera Player)

Firstly, looking around, are there any DAPs we should consider in addition to:
iBasso DX100
iRiver AK100
Colorfly C4 Pro
HiFiMan 602

The next question is that as it looks like it's going to be next to impossible to audition these (we live in London, UK), what are your impressions/suggestions as to which is likely to be the best with the JH16s?

And finally, any recommendations on the best place to buy them?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Conrad.

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 6
I've not heard any of those players but from what I've read AK100 and low impedance IEMs is a bad idea if you like bass, unless you mod it (or buy a pre-modded RWAK100)

I don't know how much of a rush you're in but there will be a DX100 and AK100 among other DAPs at the meet in London on 27/4/13 - see the link in my signature if you can wait that long
smile.gif

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't know how much of a rush you're in but there will be a DX100 and AK100 among other DAPs at the meet in London on 27/4/13 - see the link in my signature if you can wait that long :smile:

Thanks very much for the link - I wasn't aware of this.
A month isn't that long to wait for the chance to listen to different DAPs in the one place.
I've "signed up" on the thread, and already had someone offer their HM602 for a listen.
Really looking forward to the London meet! :)

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 6
Just so you know there is a piece of software that'll quickly convert all your FLACs to WAV if you don't want to immediately discount the Tera player. 
Of course the London meet is the best idea, always nice to try everything before you buy 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back