help with which cord i need to support spdif
Sep 2, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #16 of 24
Fools, I spent seventy dollars on my toslink to mini. I'll have pics for y'all to salivate to later.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 24
anyone?

edit: phototristian that link is appreciated and is what i need, just seeing if there's any other suggestions out there for "higher quality" cables, for example if this monoprice one you linked makes any difference versus the blue jeans one, or any others. not looking to spend a ridiculous amount, but if spending say an extra $20 makes a noticeable difference i'd be willing to spend that.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if spending say an extra $20 makes a noticeable difference i'd be willing to spend that.

No, it does not. An spdif/toslink cable carries a digital signal - i.e. zeroes and ones. There is no "quality of signal" - you either get the 1's or you don't. Some people swear by glass toslink cables, but at the data density limited by the spdif protocol makes the light scattering of a plastic cable compared to a glass one is negligible. It would have to be a very long cable with a very high data density for glass vs plastic to actually matter imo.

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 24
Plus the DAC will eliminate any jitter in the signal and correct any errors if there are any anyways.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 24
wink_face.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a monoprice optical cable as well as another from Sys.Concepts, Inc. - There is no difference in sound, but I prefer the latter simply based on aesthetics.

MiniPlug to Toslink Premium Optical Cable 0.05 to 50 meters

May not be worth a ~$15.00 difference in price just for looks, but I'm rich.

I have Monoprice 'premium' optical cables and they look just as good if not better than those, for way less:

PREMIUM 6FT Optical Toslink Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector | Toslink to Toslink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back