Help with Westone / Shure Replacement Sleeves
Jul 29, 2009 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having a problem tracking down the 'Large' soft silicone tips that came with my Westone 3's. They are perfect for my ears give both seal and isolation in seconds, no fiddling about. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

If I can't get these are the Shure 'Large' silicones the exact same thing? They look similar but my memory tells me that the Shures were firmer somehow. Obviously I only got one pair with my W3's and wear and tear has taken it's toll, I can't get the same comfort, seal and isolation with any of the other bundled tips.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, if there is anyone with W3's that doesn't use the 'Large' soft silicones I'm willing to buy them. Just a thought, I'm desperate.....

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 15
I might have them dude, i'll check tomorrow and get back to you. If I still have them you are welcome to them, I dont use silicones, I use either black foams, comply or UM56 on my UM3X

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 15
no problem, pretty sure i'll have them, since I didnt return the tips package when I RMA'd the W3 a couple months ago.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a problem tracking down the 'Large' soft silicone tips that came with my Westone 3's. They are perfect for my ears give both seal and isolation in seconds, no fiddling about. Can anyone point me in the right direction??

If I can't get these are the Shure 'Large' silicones the exact same thing? They look similar but my memory tells me that the Shures were firmer somehow. Obviously I only got one pair with my W3's and wear and tear has taken it's toll, I can't get the same comfort, seal and isolation with any of the other bundled tips.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, if there is anyone with W3's that doesn't use the 'Large' soft silicones I'm willing to buy them. Just a thought, I'm desperate.....

Well, if qusp can't find them you can get them (5 pairs) from the UK here, but they are the small ones. You can ask seller for the large ones: Shure PA758 Small Flex Sleeves E1 E3 E4 & E5 Earphones on eBay (end time 14-Aug-09 17:18:15 BST)

Or from Eraphone Solutions (5 pairs): Shure PA758 NEW Soft Flex Sleeve (5 pairs) for E1, E3, E4, E500, E5 and Westone UM1 and UM2 -- They have all sizes.

Jul 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 15
Good question - I know Westone ONLY sell a $24.99 pack with an assortment of tips (including the soft grey silicone ones) and only one pair for each size, ie you'd only be getting one pair of large grey silicone tips if you got this pack.

The Shure's may be ever so slightly harder, can't remember exactly myself - I had both the W3 and SE530 and can't remember them being that different. I also ONLY use the soft grey tips with my UM3X's (and with my W3's & SE530's in the past). They're the only ones I've found comfortable and find they provide by far the best SQ. I'm pretty confident you'd be OK if you got the Shure's.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 15
I could be wrong but aren't the large Shure tips completely different to large Compy tips?

The large Shure tips are roughly the same length as the medium Shure tips but have a wider diameter. The large Comply tips have the same diameter as the medium Comply tips but are longer. Or put another way, the Shure tips are short and fat and the Comply tips are long and thin.

Sorry if this info is wrong, but that's my understanding anyway.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 15
It's the large silicone tips I'm trying to locate. The Westone ones are really soft, it may be that the Shures are the same (I don't think they are) but I don't have any of the Shures to compare.

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 15
hey mate, all good I think. pretty sure they arent the shure ones. I have SE530 too. the ones I have here are very soft and not black, but more of a medium/dark bluey grey; is that the ones??

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 15
I can also confirm that the silicons that came with the Westone 3 is a bit softer than the ones that came with the Shure SE420. I don't think the difference is enough to affect fit/sound, though.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #15 of 15
Instead of creating a new thread, I bumped this one:
I'm looking for a pair of the large, silicone Westone tips. Happy to buy them, trade for them, etc...
I bought some of the Shure sleeves; they are just a little too firm for me, and maybe a bit bigger.
I contacted Westone and the confirmed that I can only buy the fit kit from them, but who wants to spend $25 for a pair of silicones?! There's got to be someone out there who wears something besides the large silicone. I'll trade you any silicone from the fit kit!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back