Help with using YouTube Music on McIntosh Amp
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

roadrat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

My current setup includes a McIntosh MA9000, a Bluesound Node 2i, and Focal Spectral 40th speakers. I also have a SSD (Flac files) connected to the Node.

The Node does not support YouTube Music.

To listen to YouTube Music, I connect USB-C on my phone (Pixel 5) to the USB-A on the McIntosh. This works fine, but forces me to leave my phone near the McIntosh. The benefit of this is that the McIntosh's DAC is used (the Pixel 5 does not have an internal DAC).

Is there an alternative to using my phone to access YouTube Music which is directly connected to my McIntosh? Since I am seeking to maintain fidelity, I am not looking for a Bluetooth or Chromecast solution.

Is there a way to connect a Google Home device to the McIntosh so I can use the Google Assistant to play songs from YouTube Music?

If you have any other ideas for enabling YouTube music on the McIntosh, I'd love to hear them.

TIA

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 5
Buy a used notebook computer, connect it to the McIntosh.

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 5
I am not looking for a Bluetooth or Chromecast solution.
A Chromecast Audio would actually be perfect for your circumstances. Plugging an optical cable from the CCA to the optical digital input of your McIntosh amp is a bit-perfect, lossless solution. You would simply 'push' from your YT music app to the CCA, and the McIntosh's onboard DAC would manage D>A duties.

You can then 'group' the CCA with a Google Nest Mini speaker in your Google Home app, and use voice to control playback on your stereo system.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 5
A Chromecast Audio would actually be perfect for your circumstances. Plugging an optical cable from the CCA to the optical digital input of your McIntosh amp is a bit-perfect, lossless solution. You would simply 'push' from your YT music app to the CCA, and the McIntosh's onboard DAC would manage D>A duties.

You can then 'group' the CCA with a Google Nest Mini speaker in your Google Home app, and use voice to control playback on your stereo system.
Brilliant. I didn't know Chromecast Audio lossless. Google discontinued CCA so I'll try to find a used one

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 5
Brilliant. I didn't know Chromecast Audio lossless. Google discontinued CCA so I'll try to find a used one
Be prepared for crazy prices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back