help with usb cable
Oct 27, 2015 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Deftone

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to know if there are any audiophile usb cables that are a solid, well built, specced for audio and well sheilded etc

No BS snake oil just proper straight to the point well made usb cable for dacs. (like a bluejeans version of usb cable)

what i have seen so far

Supra v2 USB
Atlas Element USB
Schiit 'Straight Wire' USB

any other sugjestions?

thanks in advance :)

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 8
I plan to buy this myself very soon: http://www.jenving.com/products/view/usb-2.0-a-b-1001908381

I must admit I'm not very knowledgeable regarding cables but I hear Supra makes some very good stuff for "cheap". Wether it's snake oil or not I leave for you to decide.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 8
yes it is considered pretty cheap at £25 for an "audiophile usb cable"

at the moment  i am using one that cost £1.99

maybe i should just get 2 for comparison, supra and then drop £150 on something "better" maybe light harmonics 2G, im just worried placebo will cause me to waste money aha

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 8
I you are willing to put some more money on the USB cable you should have a look at the Vertere Acoustics Pulse D-Fi v2 USB cable http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-acoustics-d-fi-usb-interconnect-cable.html
Amazing USB cable that performs extremely good. Here is a review from What Hifi you should have a look at if you are considering Supra: http://www.whathifi.com/vertere/pulse-d-fi/review. Please note that this is a review of the v1 version. The v2 version is even better.
Supra is still a fairly good USB cable but stepping up the ladder is very awarding IMHO. Another cables to look at is the Audioquest Carbon.

However, for the money the Vertere Acoustic is very hard to beat! :)

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 8
Kurt Denke, over at Blue Jeans Cable, as recently been doing a lot of studying on Data Cables and as purchased some expensive test equipment.  So I wound go with his cables.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/data-cables/index.htm

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi Deftone, 

Usually, they are two groups of people with different thinking and philosophy to answer your question. On one side are the scientists, the bits are bits people who are going to ridiculize any person who dare to spend more than a couple of bucks for an audiophile USB cable. These peoples from experience and reading lots of their arguments are for a very vast majority individuals who never dare to really compare cheap USB cables vs expensive ones.

On the other side, there are peoples who prefered to try and compare to make their own judgment on the question. These peoples called fools by the other group should be willing to spend time and money to get an enlightened answer. Guess where I am?

In the last three years, I tried about ten differents USB cable ranging from generic to 750$. I compared lots of them to other cables in the same price (or so) range. And you know what? ALL THE CABLES SOUNDS DIFFERENT IN MY SYSTEM. From subtle to really obvious. The best example I experienced that can convince the most hard head scientists is the comparison between the Wireworld Starlight 7 (the red one) to the Transparent Performance. Both cables are about the same price (100$) but boy oh boy do they sound differents! I dare any scientists group to invest 200$ for the cause (the cables could be resale afterward without loosing too much) and buy and compare these two specifics cables in a good system and to come back here to let us know their findings. For the records, the Starlight was clear, edgy, thin and fatiguing. The Transparent was thick, smooth, and a lot more enjoyable than the starlight but lack resolution..

I absolutely agree with Cornan regarding the reward you usually get when you're stepping up the ladder. My current cable (for the last year or so) was the most expensive one. Coincidence? Placebo effect? No. Simply a lenghty comparison with my second best cable. For several weeks I compared The Transparent Premium (a really fantastic cable) at the time my resident cable to a beta cable made by a canadian highly regarded cable maker. M. Steven Huang from Audiosensibility. previously, I was really impressed by Steven knowledge and products. As I was raving about how the Transparent Premium bested easily all other cables I compared to (including Audioquest Diamond, Silnote Poseidon and Oyaide Continental 5S) he proposed me to compare his current Statement USB cable to the Transparent Premium for a couple of weeks. He was curious to see how his cable will fare against a top dog. Take note that his Statement cable was 279$ and the Premium 565$, not a really fair battle in theory but since Steven is a good guy and the experience will only cost me the shipping back. I was up for a really big surprise. After about two weeks of comparison each night, the Premium best the Statement at the end but really by a nose. The statement had much of the refinment, analog musicality and details of the Premium but the later had the more body to ths sound. But it was really close.I sent back the cable to Steven but not without telling him how much his cable was good. More especially for the price. In fact, it was better than the Audioquest Diamond by a good margin. And we are talking of a cable selling for more than 550$. Steven adore challenges even more than his own products. So he offered me to build a Signature version of his Statement USB cable to compare to the Premium. Without any obligation of purchase. I accepted his offer. The cable will have 4 times the OCC silver of the Statement and will be a double header cable. That will bring the bass in spade while retaining all other qualities of the Statement. A couple of months later (Steven is really a busy man), the cable arrive at my workplace. As always, beautiful well made product with top notch material.It didn't took too long to realize that I will have to part with my beloved Transparent Premium. The Signature had even more body to the sound than the Premium despite that being the strenght of the Premium. But the Signature have a wonderful sense of ease, fluidity to the music flow. No other cables I tried can touch it.I,M since really happy for more than a year and I'm not planning any upgrade soon.

Don't hesitate to try and make your own judgment.Trust your ears and do not worry about brain tricking you and placebo effect. You will be surprised by the sound differences between some cables. Buy used, you will save money. BTW I'm now sold to silver vs copper after much experimentation with IC, headphone cable and USB cable. You don't need to spend 750$ to get fantastic result. But IMHO the 250-400$ range is a good sweet spot. 

Good luck.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 8
There is also a device called USB Regen http://uptoneaudio.com/products/usb-regen that in simple words are a USB hub to put as close to the DAC as possible. It ensures a 90 ohm signal and clean power etc. You can check the Head-Fi thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen/450_50. With this device the importances with a good USB cables is reduced some..but still audiable. This is something for anybody who want to ensure best possible SQ through USB. Beginner to high-enders. IF you start with USB Regen the Supra will give you top notch performance (simply because Supra deliver a steady 90 ohms signal. Other more expensive USB cables do not deliver as steady 90 ohm signal as Supra). High-enders might want to use good cables and improved PSU for USB Regen (Battery or linear)! :wink:
Love Transparent cables BTW! :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 8
If you want to step it up further I can truly recommend Elijah Audio http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html Michael is really one service minded guy that will make your personal dreams come through! :) Be sure to sure to check out his BPM battery cable with battery pack! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back